Gorguts & more

Nile577

Jun 26, 2003
I just discovered that www.gorguts.com is now back online and found this on the news page from Luc:

'Writing-wise, I'm working on a project with Steeve Hurdle...I'm gonna tell the name of the band later. We're hoping to release an EP then we'll work on a full length album.The music sounds a bit like OBSCURA... even weirder!!!!! I'm also working on a piece for string orchestra, a kind of INTERMEZZO, MARCHE FUNEBRE thing.'

This is hugely good news because in my opinion Steeve Hurdle is a genius & Obscura is a most wondrous thing! I'm especially interested in hearing the orchestral piece. I think Gorguts is one of the few interesting Death Metal bands at the moment.

Also, does anyone have the Roadrunner double-c.d. reissue of Considered Dead/The Erosion of Sanity? Is it a good re-release? I don't own Considered Dead and I’m half considering :D buying this version rather than shelling out £30-40 for an original.

I am definitely not wasting my time with future Gorguts releases as I totally despised "Obscura" and "From wisdom to hate". So much unecessary technical jibberish going about. With that thought..."And then you'll beg" by Cryptopsy comes to mind.

I find that Gorguts put their technicality to excellent use, unlike Cryptopsy. They've got at least (I don't have Considered Dead) three excellent albums under their belt, so I have high hopes for this stuff.

Guardian of Darkness said:
I find that Gorguts put their technicality to excellent use, unlike Cryptopsy. They've got at least (I don't have Considered Dead) three excellent albums under their belt, so I have high hopes for this stuff.

"Erosion of Sanity" takes the cake as Gorguts crowning glory IMO. Untouchable death metal compositions that possess clench fisting aggression as opposed to what their lack lustre present day recordings transpire.

Ivan the terrible said:
I am definitely not wasting my time with future Gorguts releases as I totally despised "Obscura" and "From wisdom to hate". So much unecessary technical jibberish going about. With that thought..."And then you'll beg" by Cryptopsy comes to mind.

Possibly agreed about later Cryptopsy; at least Whisper Supremacy. I think Gorguts use 'technicality' in a somewhat more tasteful fashion on their latest two releases. Of course their early works were really almost totally different stylistically. Perhaps a change of name would have been advisable (something not so ‘tard sounding at least). Erosion of Sanity saw a style of composition more focussed on speed-picking and one which, for me at least, stands up pretty well even to the work of messieurs Cerrito and Hobbs.

GoD......I dunno.

Anyway, "Obscura" is overrated as hell by many, but it's not that bad of an album, and an interesting listen. I prefer "The Erosion Of Sanity" by far. I'll eventually get to checking out any new material they release.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Pierced From Within doesn't really do a lot that The Erosion of Sanity didn't do beforehand in a more kick-arse manner, methinks.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant to. It's just a high quality DM album, why make comparisons to Gorguts? PFW is a lot more straight-forward.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Pierced From Within is hella overrated. Effigy of the Forgotten is the best.

</random opinion>

Ehhh, even though it's an EP, I gotta give props to Human Waste as their best release. Wreck my neck, that one did.

Anyway, der Thema ist GORGUTS!

Early Gorguts reminds me alot more of early Immolation rather than anything like Suffocation. I really like From Wisdom To Hate but Obscura is a little to over the top and long....

btw....Effigy is better than any cd put out by Gorguts

Bah, Obscura is such a massive and complex album; you can't even begin to grasp it on the first few listens, but then it begins to unfold itself for you, just like any other intelligent form of art. I'd put it in my top 3 favorite death metal albums, along with Nespithe and Deathcult for Eternity.

Erosion of Sanity and From Wisdom to Hate are superior to anything Suffocation has put out. Nothing is too technical, it only seems stupid when the compositions don't match up to it.

I have correspondence with former Gorguts drummer Patrick Robert, and he was explaining to me that they wrote a few songs that were going to be released on Obscura, and were even more technical and oddball when compared to the songs on that album, but were not added. Steeve Hurdle was the main composer and person who thought of the concept for that album.

I thnk all of Gorguts's work is essential death metal. Obscura is certainly their crowning achievement, but there are no weak spots in their discography. They're more or less equal with Suffocation in my mind though.