Gorguts & more

Eh, I don't like the "let's be ridiculously technical but lose sight of all the things that make a coherent band in the meantime" approach. The vocals are kind of bland and emotionless, too.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Eh, I don't like the "let's be ridiculously technical but lose sight of all the things that make a coherent band in the meantime" approach. The vocals are kind of bland and emotionless, too.
I don't know, but I kind of liked the whole 'let's play around with weird-sounding melodies in a brutal death template' thing they're trying. Their next release should be even better.

Everyone has a different take on sounds. Someone told me that Into Eternity were metalcore, but I distinctly heard power/melodeath.

That was me, although I can't tell if you were alluding to that instance or not.

That's not just my take on their sound. They're clearly progressive metalcore. You can pick out the breakdowns and other overt aspects of metalcore in their music. It's not really that hard.

Edit: However, we both agree that Matt Barlow sucks.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
That was me, although I can't tell if you were alluding to that instance or not.

That's not just my take on their sound. They're clearly progressive metalcore. You can pick out the breakdowns and other overt aspects of metalcore in their music. It's not really that hard.

Edit: However, we both agree that Matt Barlow sucks.
Oh, it was you. I didn't remember. What a coincidence!

I just don't hear the metalcore in Into Eternity. Maybe it's just me, not you. Capharnaum sound pretty much straight death metal to me.
:headbang: on the Barlow thing.

I think Mongrain does more interesting guitarwork in Capharnaum than in Martyr, although Martyr does have more coherency and depth to the song-writing. I don't have a problem with wankering, so I enjoy Capharnaum. That said, I think the vocals in both Martyr and Capharnaum are awful.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
For being 'ridiculously technical' (which they aren't really), Capharnaum are actually relatively straightforward and memorable in their songwriting compared to other bands. Bands like Nefas, Spawn of Possession, Psychofagist, Ophiolatry, Cryptopsy, Siksakubur, Iniquity etc make Capharnaum sound like melodeath.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Oh, it was you. I didn't remember. What a coincidence!

I just don't hear the metalcore in Into Eternity. Maybe it's just me, not you. Capharnaum sound pretty much straight death metal to me.
:headbang: on the Barlow thing.

Hahaha. Yeah they are more metalcore. They have better vocals than 90% of today's metalcore bands, though.

SculptedCold said:
For being 'ridiculously technical' (which they aren't really), Capharnaum are actually relatively straightforward and memorable in their songwriting compared to other bands. Bands like Nefas, Spawn of Possession, Psychofagist, Ophiolatry, Cryptopsy, Siksakubur, Iniquity etc make Capharnaum sound like melodeath.

Nefas sounded like they were just making everything up on the spot when I checked them out.

Metalcore has always sounded a certain way to me...and I still just find Into Eternity to be very much power metal.

Gorguts sound more metalcore than them. Really.

Killer, I can't wait.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Gorguts sound more metalcore than them. Really.

Metalcore is metal and hardcore, not avant garde prog DM like the last 2 gorguts(the first two are DM). The reason Into Eternity is considered metalcore is because they have metal and hardcore mixed, vocalists do not decided a music style. Music genre's are based on instrumentation. If a bluegrass band had a powermetal vocalist and grunts is it power death metal?

METALCORE(Metal + Hardcore) METAL(hard)Core. METALCORE,METALCORE,METALCORE. Does gorguts have any hardcore elements, NO.

Is Cynic,Theory in Practice,Athiest,Illogocist and Martyr,etc... metalcore sounding now too?

Cryptkeeper said:
No. It would be metalgrass.

Nah, it would be expirimental blue grass. Music genre's are based on music not vocal styles.

The Greys said:
Metalcore is metal and hardcore, not avant garde prog DM like the last 2 gorguts(the first two are DM). The reason Into Eternity is considered metalcore is because they have metal and hardcore mixed, vocalists do not decided a music style. Music genre's are based on instrumentation. If a bluegrass band had a powermetal vocalist and grunts is it power death metal?

METALCORE(Metal + Hardcore) METAL(hard)Core. METALCORE,METALCORE,METALCORE. Does gorguts have any hardcore elements, NO.

Is Cynic,Theory in Practice,Athiest,Illogocist and Martyr,etc... metalcore sounding now too?
Whoa, whoa! Way to flip out! Geez, I already said that I was probably just me. Everyone has their own set of classifications. I consider Cradle of Filth, black metal for crying out loud! Don't listen to my genre tags.

Yeah, no shit Gorguts aren't metalcore. But to me, Into Eternity sound less metalcore than them, if that's possible.

I for one, would like to drop that facet of discussion right here and now, if that's possible.

The Grey's has a point. You need labels and accurate classifications of genres. Not only in metal, but in every facet of language as well. Otherwise, no one understands eachother and communication ceases.

You've got to be stern about these issues.

Focusphere said:
The Grey's has a point. You need labels and accurate classifications of genres. Not only in metal, but in every facet of language as well. Otherwise, no one understands eachother and communication ceases.

You've got to be stern about these issues.
I love sarcasm.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Haha, you think that was flipping out? I edited out all the original flaming which accompanied it.
Damn...wow.