Gorguts & more

Astral Poetry said:
Bah, Obscura is such a massive and complex album; you can't even begin to grasp it on the first few listens, but then it begins to unfold itself for you, just like any other intelligent form of art. I'd put it in my top 3 favorite death metal albums, along with Nespithe and Deathcult for Eternity.

Strange, I loved Obscura from the first listen. Either I have some kind of inhuman listening abilities or I need to listen to this album alot more and it's going to continue growing on me.

...I think it's the latter. A good excuse to keep listening to it often, at least. :D (not that I need one)

AsModEe said:
You should all check out Martyr... especially their last album Warp Zone.

I've been meaning to check this band out for some time now. "Only" because it consists of ex-Krabathor members along with Paul Speckman from "Master" fame. From the reviews I've read its pretty standard death metal...no?

It's progressive death metal with jazz influence, in the vein of later Death, minus the masturbatory composition. There's a speed metal vibe to it at times. It's very energetic and intense, yet precise, rhythmically and harmonically. There's lots of variation - the tempo changes frequently as does the style of riffing, yet it all hangs together compositionally - something most bands can't do. Fans of Pestilence and Atheist will probably find something in this band.

Ivan the terrible said:
I've been meaning to check this band out for some time now. "Only" because it consists of ex-Krabathor members along with Paul Speckman from "Master" fame. From the reviews I've read its pretty standard death metal...no?
ugh...I think you have the wrong band. Check Martyr the band from quebec. Here's a link to their webpage: http://pages.infinit.net/martyr/

Btw Martyr have really good live shows...don't miss them if they play near you!