Got bored and messed around with an old guitar.. + some wiring questions!

fade_2_black

Apr 11, 2006
www.keirlefoh.com
I've been fiddling around with the electronics in an old guitar and was thinking of removing all switches and pots and having just a killswitch. However, have changed my mind and think I would rather try something slightly different out.

In the past I have always wanted to have a two way switch or push button that can engage a pad in my guitar for lower output - I just use one channel and get my cleans by turning down my volume knob.

Going with that idea, I have had a thought about doing something slightly different. With my band, I have a bunch of different sounds I go for - clean, warm sounds to dirty, slightly overdriven bluesy crunch to full gain metal distortion - all with just changing the volume knob. How easy (and possible for that matter) would it be to have multiple pads built in to my guitar, and all connected via a 5 way switch or something similar? Would love to be able to switch through different output levels without having a continuous volume pot and just the 5 discrete settings.

Anyone tried this? Or has the electronics experience to recommend how I might want to go about looking into this further?

Thanks

Uhhh.. forgot to change title. Was going to write up about how I randomly decided to do this to my guitar:

Gat.jpg

But couldn't be bothered explaining in detail as its late!

Measure the resistance of the volume pot in your favorite positions, pick according resistors and wire them up to the 5-way switch, leaving one pin without one for full open volume?

Legend! Sounds pretty much exactly what I'd be wanting to do.

Will have to study up about how to wire it all correctly as I'm not the best with all that but should be pretty manageable.

Cheers bro :)