Gothenburg and assorted adventures in Europe

Don't try speaking a native language in Belgium. When, in the French part, I start talking in French they talk Dutch to me and the other way around as well. Don't try. Brussels and Antwerp are both nice cities though. If you need another suggestion for a city: Bergen! Been their last year and have to say it's one of the best I've ever seen. It's not that big, but really beautiful and the atmosphere is really good.

THOU SHALT NOT PASS!!!

balroggandalf.jpg

Don't try speaking a native language in Belgium. When, in the French part, I start talking in French they talk Dutch to me and the other way around as well. Don't try. Brussels and Antwerp are both nice cities though. If you need another suggestion for a city: Bergen! Been their last year and have to say it's one of the best I've ever seen. It's not that big, but really beautiful and the atmosphere is really good.

Haha, try going to Bruges to. And before that, watch "In Bruges" with Collin Farrell. Brilliant movie.

Bergen is also extraordinary. Lots of nature, lots of rain, and very friendly people. Norsk are always willing to help, something that I really like. But take care of the trolls, I saw one and the little bastard stole one of my gloves!

When traveling in Europe, it's usually okay to speak English, but the trick is to lean in really close and speak loudly and slowly. Europeans really appreciate the courtesy.

Also, no one really knows where to find Canada on a map, so just tell everyone that you're American. They also love to hear about our country, so make sure to take every opportunity to tell them how much nicer things are in the great theme park that is America. Make sure to mention the cleanliness and how the food is so much better.

If you meet anyone with a strange name, be sure to correct them on gender accuracy. An example would be a "Robin", who is probably male in Europe despite the fact that everyone knows it's a girl's name.

I'm telling you, Europeans fucking love Americans.

When traveling in Europe, it's usually okay to speak English, but the trick is to lean in really close and speak loudly and slowly. Europeans really appreciate the courtesy.

Also, no one really knows where to find Canada on a map, so just tell everyone that you're American. They also love to hear about our country, so make sure to take every opportunity to tell them how much nicer things are in the great theme park that is America. Make sure to mention the cleanliness and how the food is so much better.

If you meet anyone with a strange name, be sure to correct them on gender accuracy. An example would be a "Robin", who is probably male in Europe despite the fact that everyone knows it's a girl's name.

Note to self: Don't listen to anything Stizzle says.

I'm actually planning a trip to Gothenburg for next year! I'm really looking forward to it. I'm planning on going to a festival or two and just checking it out. I'm meeting up with At The Gate's webmaster and I may even hang with Anders Bjorler. We've become good friends online. I hope you have a great time at Wacken! I hope to go there one day as well.

I believe most of us Swedes are quite fond of North America and their people. I wouldn't worry about that part.

Speaking of Wacken, I remember meeting this guy there back in 06. He asked me where I was from and I told him. Then, he looked very sad and said "Swedes hate Germans :( " and left.
Not sure about that either.
What I do know is that a couple of days at the Wacken festival will make you appreciate the good things in life, such as drinking water, people who smells like anything but piss+shit+beer+sweat, beds, toilets and such.

I believe most of us Swedes are quite fond of North America and their people. I wouldn't worry about that part.

Speaking of Wacken, I remember meeting this guy there back in 06. He asked me where I was from and I told him. Then, he looked very sad and said "Swedes hate Germans :( " and left.
Not sure about that either.
What I do know is that a couple of days at the Wacken festival will make you appreciate the good things in life, such as drinking water, people who smells like anything but piss+shit+beer+sweat, beds, toilets and such.

That's weird, I'd never heard any comments of Swedes hating Germans before. A lot of Germans go to Sweden as tourists, so the comment makes no sense to me.

But aren't there any hotels/hostels near Wacken? I've always wanted to go, but I'm too old for that "living in a tent and drinking till you die" rubbish.

But aren't there any hotels/hostels near Wacken? I've always wanted to go, but I'm too old for that "living in a tent and drinking till you die" rubbish.

I hear you, but there aren't. I went and camped when I was 26, feeling way too old and out of my element. I wouldn't do it again now, it's all you (probably) don't want and nothing of what you (probably) are hoping.

I hear you, but there aren't. I went and camped when I was 26, feeling way too old and out of my element. I wouldn't do it again now, it's all you (probably) don't want and nothing of what you (probably) are hoping.

Not even hotels? That sucks, I'm 24 and too old for that. I'd like a comfortable bed, please. I guess it's nice to see so many bands, but what's the point if I'm going to be feeling like shit the entire time?

No I wasn't! Pansy-ass Europeans and their polite sensibilities hold a craving for brash American honesty. We'll tear down the walls around your heart; sometimes with obnoxiousness, sometimes bombs. Your choice, friends.

Then I disagree with your comments. Most Europeans know where Canada and the US is. They don't love to hear about the US, since a lot of them do not like the country.

Then I disagree with your comments. Most Europeans know where Canada and the US is. They don't love to hear about the US, since a lot of them do not like the country.

Hint, hint: He is still being sarcastic.

^ Actually I didn't go to any. If you can go to Neseblod in Oslo, that, along with Remedy Records in Hamburg, were the best stores I saw. The former is amazing, they've everything cramped up in such a small place :p . They've got so much stuff that you feel over-whelmed and really have no idea where to star. I got my Skydancer LP there, too.

All right -- music stores! Are there any good ones in Gothenburg? Or even mediocre ones? :)

Andra långgatans skivhandel can be a bit of both. Second hand, so there's a good chance of finding something special depending on your luck. Tons of pubs on that street too, it's a bit special/rocknroll. Stay out of the naughty shops though. Go across the street from the record store and have a pint of bitter at Kings head for the hell of it. Friday night, good time to be there. Not very metal though, but it sure lacks class enough to fit most people.

Bengans is probably the most obvious one. It's like, the only record store that's sort of, made it through. It's a classic place anyway. Don't know if Anders Iwers (from Ceremonial Oath!!111§½) still works there. If so, ask him; "Aren't you that guy from that ramones cover band?"

Those two are sadly the ones I can think of, can probably name more that are not around anymore or has gone all merch.

This is a cool viewpoint imho, if you want to get a feel for the city.

Edit: I'm sure there's a way to change language to English in an easy way there at Google, but y'know.