Gothic thrash instrumental

thefyn

Jun 3, 2006
Hi peeps,

This is a project I have been working on called Automaton:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9218551

4 drummers have left in 2 years so I thought to hell with it! I am going industrial. haha

Automaton future tracks will range from thrash, to goth electronica, to stripped down gothic folk to full on gonzo industrial dance. This track is kinda proggy/gothy/thrashy. Some of the beats I am working on are more Angelspit meets Rabbit Junk.

There are vocals on all other tracks (none finished yet) this is just an instrumental.

I used Sonar 7 home studio
Loads a audiomidi no brainer plugins (EZdrummer, SS drums, Tracks, British Bundle etc)
Battery 1 and Kontakt

Guits were single micd, double tracked via Kramer with EMG 85, Crate Vintage Club 20 head into a g12t-75 4x12.

This is a basic end of recording master, but I have to polish it up by splitting up some stems and mastering each one as it gets a bit murky here and there and some of the solos are grating/need some separation/effects.

I say Battery 1: I would love it to be battery 3 but I can't install the bugger on Win 7 64. Sonar hangs on me when it scans the VST for Battery 3. Just after I paid $90 for the upgrade on Ebay, NI went and blew them out 50% off online haha. fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Anyway, took me a while to get to grips with the software/recording etc but it has taken some sort of shape.

I thought it was already pretty good quality but with stem mastering you can make it better. Very good arrangement and guitar work. Nice piece.

Joey :)

Seems a bit dark and murky. Bass is too high in level IMO, or cut a bit of the mids or something. Cymbals are a tad loud for my taste at times.

Yeah I agree with the murky intro/outro. Some parts need to pop more.

I actually like the bass level I have in tandem with the guitar riffs. The guits need it as the source is an 18 watt el84 amp via standard tuning so the bass fills it out a bit.

I'll give the cymbals a fresh listen.