Grade each bands performance in past ProgPowers

alexofbodom

Feb 24, 2002
Visit site
I have nothing to do at work right now, so here I go:

PPII:

Balance of Power: 7/10. Not my favorite band, but they did a pretty good job onpening PPII. Some sound problems, but overall played professionally.

Nightingale: 1/10 Boring, boring, boring!!!!! And the guy had to read his own lyrics?!?!?!?!

Angel Dust: 10/10 They fucking kicked ass!!Lots of energy, great sound, and a kick ass setlist. Too bad they split upDirk Thurish had a great stage presence! Hope they will re-from soon and release another Enlighten the Darkness type album.

Ark: 8/10. Not the biggest Ark fan in the world, but they really impressed me by their skills in delivering their music. Jorn Lande was perfect (I am so happy he is in Masterplan now!!!), drummer killed, bassist was amaizing in his solo, Tore wsa excellent (despite sound problems), and keyboardist I could not hear at all. Strong showing.

Symphony X: 10/10. Killer live band!!! Michael Romeo rules!!! Russell Allen is great live singer, and the rest of the band did hell of a job as well. Great set-list as well!!! Man, I can't wait to see them for the third time!!!

Superior: 5/10. I found their show a bit boring and their music is not my favorite either. They played well, but nothing special.

Spiral Architect: 6/10. Great musicians, but there just isn't any "feeling" in the music. Did not get much excitement out of me, but they were definitely interesting to watch.

Steel Prophet: 7/10. Lots of energy, but somehow disappointed me. They were going crazy on stage, but the delivery was not the best and their sound did not help them either. It was entertaining and funny nonetheless, and worthwile witnessing.

Evergrey: 10/10. They ruled!!! Sound was killer too!!! One of the best live sets I have seen in my life. Great stage presence as well. Can't wait to see them again!!!

Kamelot: 9/10. Great live band when it comes to delivery, and great set-list too. The one negative aspect was their weak stage presence. Very static, and Khan looked more like a singer from Backstreet Boys than from a metal band. But what a voice!!! Great band!!!

PPIII:

Zero Hour: 8/10. Not my favorite style of metal, but there guys are complete pros when it comes to playing their complex music, and they did a great job starting this hyped-up festival. Very nice people as well.

Silent Force: 6/10. Started strong, but turned boring very quickly. I am not a big DC Cooper fan, although I admit he is great live singer. Somehow this band does not grab my attention and interest.

Edguy: 10/10. Great show!!! I am not biggest Edguy fan, but they were by far the most entertaining power metal band I have ever seen live. Tobias is a great frontman. Very funny as well. I had a blast watching these guys. Hope to see them again in future!

Blind Guardian: 9/10. They are the best power metal band of all times. They were obviously not in their best form, but who cares, they are Blind Guardian and they rule! They played a much better show when I saw them in Chicago. They had a great sound, but stage presence and Hansi's voice were not in best shape, but it was still worth every penny to see these legends of metal.

Pain of Salvation: 7/10. I do not care much about them. I admit they are very professional band, and that is why I give them 7/10, but their music just bores me.

Reading Zero: 5/10. Not really my type of metal. Not much to sya about it.

Threshold: 8/10. Very strong live band. The drummer was cool, and the singer was very solid as well!!! It was fun.

Devin Townsend: 0/10. Terrible sound!!!! Could not hear anything except for Devin's guitar. I don't like his music in the first place, but that show was horrible IMO.

Gamma Ray: 10/10. Wow!!! What energy!!! Kai Hansen is a great, great, great metal frontman. Great show, energy, sound, musicianship, etc. The only bad thing was the drum solo (should have played another song instead). Still they deserve a 10 out of 10!!!

Angra: 9/10. I love this band!!! The best twin guitars duo in the world, great drummer, unbelievably gifted bassist, and a superb singer (Andre-who?) They were great to watch and a worthy headliner!!! Stage presence could be a bit better (therefore 9 intead of 10 out of 10) but I loved every minute of their show. The Brazilian percussion was a great addition to show! And closing with Number of the Beast was a great idea!

Balance of Power: 7
Nightingale: 5
Angel Dust: 9
Ark: 10
Symphony X: 8
Superior: 8
Spiral Architect: 5
Steel Prophet: 1
Evergrey: 8
Kamelot: 9
Zero Hour: 8
Silent Force: 7
Edguy: 9
Blind Guardian: 7
Pain of Salvation: 11 :)
Reading Zero: 5
Threshold: 8
Devin Townsend: 10!!!!
Gamma Ray:8
Angra: 9

Balance of Power: 7/10. not my thing really but they were solid
Nightingale: 1/10 "Boring, boring, boring!!!!! And the guy had to read his own lyrics?!?!?!?! " i agree 100%

Angel Dust: 10/10 BTW they just reformed! Dirk is back.

Ark: 7/10. .Lots of energy and entertaining even though the music didnt do much for me it was a good show.

Symphony X: 7/10. i love their albums, but for some reason I just dont get excited by them live.

Superior: 5/10. "I found their show a bit boring and their music is not my favorite either. They played well, but nothing special." same here

Spiral Architect: 6/10. Great musicians, but there just isn't any "feeling" in the music. Did not get much excitement out of me, but they were definitely interesting to watch. Totally same feeling.

Steel Prophet: 8/10. Lots of energy, good stage show .

Evergrey: 10/10. Dead one. perfect show

Kamelot: 9/10. it was hard to hear teh guitars for them....
PPIII:

Zero Hour: 7/10. Solid band.

Silent Force: 10/10. great set

Edguy: 10/10. tons of energy

Blind Guardian: 7/10. They didnt seem into it at all. Actualyl very dissapointing to me

Pain of Salvation: didnt see

Reading Zero: 6/10. Not bad.

Threshold: 6/10. soldi set, but the music just did nothgin for me.

Devin Townsend: 0/10. Terrible sound!!!! Could not hear anything except for Devin's guitar. I don't like his music in the first place, but that show was horrible IMO. AGREED

Gamma Ray: 11/10. Amazing. Totally AMazing

Angra: 10/10. Awesome closer and amazing performance.

YtseJammer said:
Zero Hour: 6
Silent Force: 8.5
Edguy: 9.5
Blind Guardian: 7.5
Pain of Salvation: 9.5
Reading Zero: 4
Threshold: 8
Devin Townsend: 3
Gamma Ray: 9.5
Angra: 9.5

Zero Hour= 7
Silent Force= 8
Edguy= 10
BG= 8
Pain of Salvation= 10
Reading Zero= 4
Threshold= 9
Devin Townsend= No clue; I was at the Bar!
Gamma Ray= 10
Angra= 10

nightwish58 said:
Zero Hour= 7
Silent Force= 8
Edguy= 10
BG= 8
Pain of Salvation= 10
Reading Zero= 4
Threshold= 9
Devin Townsend= No clue; I was at the Bar!
Gamma Ray= 10
Angra= 10

We have very similar tastes Snote, I'll be headbanging with you :hotjump:

How's the new Eternity X? :wave:

YtseJammer said:
We have very similar tastes Snote, I'll be headbanging with you :hotjump:

How's the new Eternity X? :wave:

The Eternity X is absolutely incredible. What a shame that their relationship blew up!

I can't wait ffor Secret Sphere. They are going to tear it up! They will definitely be the sleeper of this festival! Hey Hump!

nightwish58 said:
The Eternity X is absolutely incredible. What a shame that their relationship blew up!

I can't wait ffor Secret Sphere. They are going to tear it up! They will definitely be the sleeper of this festival! Hey Hump!

Redemption will kick the sh*t out of everyone...watch!

YtseJammer said:
Redemption will kick the sh*t out of everyone...watch!

No doubt about that; just listened to that disc yesterday and it is amazing. It will be even better with Corey Brown singing!!!! By the way, I will have the Tomorrow's Eve on Saturday. I got you a copy since this album is a must have. Sorry everyone for this semi-private post.

PP III was the only one I've attended until this Sept..

SILENT FORCE = 10
GAMMA RAY = 9 (coulda done w/o the drum solo)
EDGUY = 10
BLIND GUARDIAN = 10
ANGRA = 9 (was sick and left but according to my friends)
PAIN OF SALVATION = 6 (bored me, but talented)
THRESHOLD = 7
DEVIN = 0 (didn't like anything I checked out prior to show so I shopped)
READING ZERO = 5
ZERO HOUR = 5

SILENT FORCE = 10
GAMMA RAY = 9 (coulda done w/o the drum solo)
EDGUY = 10
BLIND GUARDIAN = 10
ANGRA = 9 (was sick and left but according to my friends)
PAIN OF SALVATION = 6 (bored me, but talented)
THRESHOLD = 7
DEVIN = 0 (didn't like anything I checked out prior to show so I shopped)
READING ZERO = 5
ZERO HOUR = 5

Great taste, man!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, SUPERIOR was one of the bands I went to PP2 to see and I thought they ripped it up - great performance! (Could have played a better set but still good)

I had no clue about Balance of Power but was truly impressed by their opening the show - I thought they did really well and Lance King kicked ass. Ended up buying their latest two albums just cause of that show.

Burke said:
Personally, SUPERIOR was one of the bands I went to PP2 to see and I thought they ripped it up - great performance! (Could have played a better set but still good)

I had no clue about Balance of Power but was truly impressed by their opening the show - I thought they did really well and Lance King kicked ass. Ended up buying their latest two albums just cause of that show.

Two extremely solid bands that I am grateful to have seen live (even if it was for only 45 minutes each). We will never get to see BoP with Lance again, and who knows if I will ever get to see Superior again. I would love to see Superior return next year and get a one hour spot. That would kick serious ass as their new one Ultima Ratio has some great material on it. Once again, I owe it all to Glenn for givinbg me the opportunity to at least see these 2 great bands perform live even if it is for one time only.

and is it just me or is that new Brainstorm album incredible?

they get my vote for a PP appearance.

Soul Temptation rules! I truly hope to see them at a future ProgPower!!! I have been a huge fan of them since "Ambiguity".

Zero Hour-8:
As far as technical playing goes, they blew everyone else out of the goddamn water. They were gods. As far as stage presence, they couldve done better. But I've tried to play Zero Hour stuff with my band, and it's not easy to move all over the place while concentrating on poly-rhythms, time changes, ect.

Silent Force-9:
No band has ever won me over like they did. I never was into Silent Force till I saw them live.

Edguy-9:
Awesome energy, awesome stage presence, great set.

Blind Guardian-8:
I was dissapointed, yes. But its Blind Guardian, man!

Pain Of Salvation-
We had to leave, so I missed their set.

Reading Zero & Threshold -4
I wasnt to impressed with what they were doing. Not bad, but not great.

Devin Townsend-0
I dont understand for the life of me why the hell people like him so much. He sucked! Boring, droning, simplistic guitar lines. Unimaginitive songs. Maybe I missed something, but it seems like the prog crowd would want a little bit more intelligent music than this. Correct me if Im wrong though.

Gamma Ray-8
I wouldve like this one a lot better if some asshole wasnt holding a jersey in front of my view the whole time.

Angra-7
They were awesome, but I was so tired I couldnt get into it as much as I wouldve liked.

Zero Hour 5/10
Don’t have much to say about them…I like their “The Towers of Avarice” but not so impress by their live performance.

Silent Force 7/10

Edguy 10/10
Alright, I admit I am an Edguy fan, but before PP III, I really don’t know what to expect.
I was pretty nervous to see them for the first time, and hoping that their live will be good as their studio album. The truth is my worried was unnecessary. They were great and far beyond what I can imagine.
They are absolutely a high-energy band, and know how to get their audiences high!
One of the highlights during their set was the “Headless Game” we played…. That was fun and certainly is unforgettable!!!
After my first experience of Edguy, I can only hope Tobi can keep his promise, and will come back to play 20 shows. You bet I am going to be in each one of it.

Blind Guardian 7/10
I have to say I am disappointed by their performance that night. I started to listen this band since I was in high school. It was a big deal for me to finally see them for the first time after so many years of dreaming.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just me…that night I got the best spot, first row right in the center. When Edguy were on the stage, I have no problem to hear the vocal. But somehow, I just couldn’t hear Hansi’s voice at all during the whole set. Beside that, after Edguy’s high-energy performance, Guardian just seems so ‘quiet’ compare to the youngster.

Pain of Salvation 4/10
Ok, I am not being fair here. The truth is I was so tired in the end of the night, and their music just doesn’t fit in late hour. I almost fell asleep. The only thing that kept me awake was the unbearable pain of my feet and back from standing whole night. And for most of the time, I was lost my mind in the dying thirst.….

Reading Zero 4/10
They are just not my cup of tea, and think there were boring...

Threshold 8/10
This is another band I wanna see. Love their “Critical Mass”, and they didn’t disappoint me a bit.
I can’t remember everything well, I was trying to fight for a good spot to see them. But finally I had to give up and got a seat that was close to stage. They were great on stage. I was so exciting when they played Falling Away…..I was hoping they would play it, and they did. That made my day. (and for course later on with Gamma Ray and Angra continuously made me more happier and totally worth it for all the troubles to be there. )

Devin Towsend 0/10
I was actually very exciting to get a chance to see him. The first time when I heard he from Steve Vai’s Sex and Religion back in 90’s I was always wanna see this guy live! He had such amazing performance in the album! But in PP III, it was a total disaster. I don’t know what happened, but that amazing performance wasn’t there that night…and honestly I couldn’t even stand to be there to listen he screamed on the stage. I walked out during the second or the third song.

Gamma Ray-9/10
Do I need to say more?!

Angra 10/10
I always like Angra’s music but not a fan of them. However after the show, I become one! I was so amazed by them after PP III, I even packed my bag, traveled to Aurora in the flowing week just to see them for one more time.
Before I saw them, I have heard some complains about Edu couldn’t handle the old materials. Well, who ever made those complains they were certainly wrong! Edu was nearly perfect that night…and from what I heard, he defiantly can do both. His voice can maintain the delicacy of what Andre has but also he put more power into it. It’s a great mixture.
Kiko’s playing was so passionate but with Rafael’s clam style make an excellent contrast but without loosing the balance. Along with the amazing drummer and great bassist, they really make a good team.

The only thing I am not satisfy is they cut their set short....I just wish they could play for a full hour…can’t get enough of them.