Grammy Award Nominations

Analog_Kid

One of the Ancients of UM
Well folks, it's that time of year again. The time when the big money side of the American music industry pats itself on the back and gives it's "special little performers" the proverbial hand job. Yes, the Grammy's are upon us again. Once again, I will be boycotting the show as I have done for the past ten years. Why, you ask? Well that should be obvious but if you need examples, here are the nominees for best Heavy Metal,(and I use the term loosely here... in particular the word "best") perfomance of the year:

Metal Performance:
"The Wizard," Black Sabbath
"Disciple," Slayer
"Left Behind," Slipknot
"Chop Suey!," System of a Down
"Schism," Tool

Though it's nice to see Sabbath and Slayer in that list, the rest are, at best, questionable and absolutely NONE of the artists listed above even came close to the best Metal performance of the year. Makes you want to cry, doesn't it.

But, to every grey cloud there is a silver lining, however faint it may be. Here are the nominees for best Rock Instrumental performance:

Rock Instrumental Performance:
"High Falls," The Allman Brothers Band
"Dirty Mind," Jeff Beck
"Vampires," Godsmack
"Always With Me, Always With You," Joe Satriani
"Whispering a Prayer," Steve Vai

Always nice to see Joe, Steve, and Jeff in the running... even if they are always three-fifths of the list every year.

I know a lot of bands that put out better metal material than Sabbath (No, I do not hate Sabbath). Tool is more of an alternative band, System of a Down I've found to be referenced to as Nu-Metal (What the fuck is nu metal anyway?). Slipknot should have Heretic Anthem or Everything Ends if they should be on that list.

Right on Analog Kid...
I just think it's ridiculous the way all the 'big labels' get together every year and put on the Grammies, which are just a giant cross promotional activity, all the while why they're complaining about 2001 being the 'worst profitting year in music' just because the new Mariah Carey only sold 2 million instead of the 'projected' 10 million...
The Grammies are serious propoganda....
Every year ONE ARTIST always sweeps up the Grammies to create what is called 'cross-trafficing' to get people into stores and buy other records they happen to stumble upon as they're looking for the 'big winner.'
((Not to mention the guy who heads up the Grammies, Mike Green, is a music-hating pervert (he has been sued by 17 ladies alleging sexual harrassment)).
The entire board (or 'bored', should I say) is a bunch of rich producers who admit that good music is 'unprofitable.'

Out there in the mainstream, everyone's perceptions on music are corrputed and perverted... they don't know anything and therefore there opinions are worth nothing.

I know this sounds cynical and nihilistic, but it's true...

I haven't watched the Grammy awards in years, and I don't plan on doing so any time soon.

Once a year we get to see the parade of mainstream fools.

I've always had a chuckle when they list the metal acts. I think Metallica won once - which was OK.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
Once a year we get to see the parade of mainstream fools.

I've always had a chuckle when they list the metal acts. I think Metallica won once - which was OK.

:lol:
Yeah, but that was for the BLACK ALBUM!!

And they lost to Jethro Tull in 1988 for best metal album :confused: :lol:

i just love how they split the pop scene up into 5000 different categories ("best male latin solo artist" , "best female solo artist", "Hottest young blonde christian girl", "best male band that all sing exactly like Britney Spears" etc), and then throw the entire metal scene into one category, marvelous!

What´s wrong with System Of A Down? They fucking rock! Both their albums are totally killer. And no, they are not nu metal, neo metal or whatever you like to call it. They play a splendid mix of punk, hardcore, metal, polka and arabian music.

Originally posted by svenske kocken
What´s wrong with System Of A Down? They fucking rock! Both their albums are totally killer. And no, they are not nu metal, neo metal or whatever you like to call it. They play a splendid mix of punk, hardcore, metal, polka and arabian music.

Saw them live around a month ago (with Slipknot) - again, I won the tickets.

SOAD are unique - not in the category of all the "nu-metal" bands. Kind of a hard and edgy Frank Zappa - for I have no other comparison I can think of.

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
i just love how they split the pop scene up into 5000 different categories ("best male latin solo artist" , "best female solo artist", "Hottest young blonde christian girl", "best male band that all sing exactly like Britney Spears" etc), and then throw the entire metal scene into one category, marvelous!

that is so god damn true!