A world-first at the Grammys

I think I shall by Slipknot's new album tomorrow - perhaps with the proggiest of prog CDs I can find, just to throw the salesperson off a bit :)

Spawn - I just downloaded 'People = Shit'.

I am shocked, it's quite terrible. :s

Sorry. :)

Salamurhaaja: I agree :) Heheh there could be 3 metal bands there getting recognition but no.... nominating more than 2 metal bands for a metal award in America just doesn't make sense does it!!! I mean Iced Earth are an American metal band who released a great album in 2001... but nahhhh we can't nominate them now can we.... they don't scream repeatedly to a hip hop beat :D

Southy: I'm not that much into Slayer all together... I mean Reign In Blood and Seasons In The Abyss were great albums where they got it right, and Show No Mercy has some awesome riffs and a great Bay Area Thrash attitude... but overall I find their riffs to be very much the same old same old, the solos plain stink, and Tom is possibly my worst metal vocalist ever.

Megadeth are 100x better :)

Southy: You mean Disasterpiece! :D (Im presuming you mean the "I want to slit your throat and fuck the wound" bit?) Thats one song I didnt really like, its still ok though! My plague kicks much ass too.

Sydo: You just didnt listen to it right :)

Troops: Tom is the worst metal vocalist ever? Megadeth is 100x better? *Sigh* I just dont know where to begin with you young man.....

Spiffy: *LOL* Buy it!! If you can tolerate In Flames and Cobs vocals, you should be able to enjoy Slipknot :) Just give the album a few listens as it took me a while to get into it.....

Euro death vocals are much more enjoyable than the teen angsty "Oh the world is so shit, kill me now, I'm a normal middle class guy brought up in a nice family who wants to sound all hardcore and angry" type vocals delivered by Slipknot and the like... :) Hahaha.

Originally posted by The Trooper
"Oh the world is so shit, kill me now, I'm a normal middle class guy brought up in a nice family who wants to sound all hardcore and angry" type vocals delivered by Slipknot and the like... :) Hahaha.

:lol: :lol: So true.

Euro death vocals are much more enjoyable than the teen angsty "Oh the world is so shit, kill me now, I'm a normal middle class guy brought up in a nice family who wants to sound all hardcore and angry" type vocals delivered by Slipknot and the like... :) Hahaha.

Its better than the "Im too talentless to be able to sing, so im gonna growl and screech like I have a dead cat stuck in my throat and sell no albums so I can say im "metal" and bitch and complain about numetal all the time" type vocals of euro trash bands :D

:D :headbang:

hahah :lol: Couldn't agree more and what the fuck is the idea of having 9 people in the band, 2 which just hang around (I figure cos they have no talent for anything else)??

Originally posted by spawn

Its better than the "Im too talentless to be able to sing, so im gonna growl and screech like I have a dead cat stuck in my throat and sell no albums so I can say im "metal" and bitch and complain about numetal all the time" type vocals of euro trash bands :D

I thought you might be talking about In Flames and Children of Bodom there for a second.

Any band in particular you are talking about there?
and like I said earlier, at least most band don't have few people just bouncing around like a bunch of morons :D

Originally posted by Spiff

I thought you might be talking about In Flames and Children of Bodom there for a second.

Luck you know me better than that Spiffy ;)

*Sigh* I KNOW im gonna regret this........

Slipknot wearing masks is NO different to the multitude of death/black metal bands running around painting their faces and dressing up like loons.

If you were in a band with 8 of your friends would you dump 4 of them simply because they only add percussion or whatever? They may not do much, but they arent going to chuck their friends out of the band, are they?

Theres LOADS of Numetal bands out there that are great. I often hear people say "Slipknot is just noise and people who jump around". Anyone who says that has turned into their parents already, same with the "Nothing good has come out since the 80s" brigade.

If you listen to Death and Black metal, theres no reason you cant listen and like Slipknot, except you are too afraid someones going to call you a poser, or you have some stupid reasoning that anyone who sells a lot of albums automatically sucks. The biggest trend followers are metal fans.

Metal fans are without a SHADOW of a doubt the most narrow minded people.

Heres some smilies so noone gets too offended :) :D ;) :) :lol:

P.S. I know a lot of people on this board are very open minded about music (i.e. theres lots of Creed fans when I never thought there would be) so this is more a commentary on the idiocy of the metal "movement" than anything else.

Dont worry, be happy :D

I agree that there are alot of great nu-metal bands out there (hell, I am listening to Rob Zombie's new album as I type), but Slipknot is just not one of them.

Whats this about not chucking ppl out of the band because their your friends? If they don't do anything, why are they even in the band in the first place? To create an "original" and commercial gimmick? I think so. Just chuck in a few custom made masks and some boiler suits for good measure, and they don't even have to write good music to sell records.

Ahh but I said they dont do too much, not that they dont do anything! You can hear them on the records easily, though I dont know about live as it seems a bit too chaotic to be able to hear all those percussion thingos in that kind of environment, Ill find out when I see them though.

I dont see how having 9 people in your group is a gimmick or selling point, especially for a band that is only starting out. Would you want to split tiny profits from small shows with 9 people? How would they know they would ever take off and sell anything?

About the masks and suits, Kiss did the same thing, I dont see anyone bagging them because of it. Slipknot sell HEAPS of albums, its not their fault people buy them, go buy the first Slipknot album, listen to it and tell me that before it came out you would have figured it would sell in the MILLIONS. No album like it has ever sold that much, and Kerry King had a great quote about them, it was: "When I first heard about them I just went, its a gimmick, and ignored it, but people kept telling me to check them out, so I finally did and the album was great, they really tap into their aggression" Jeff Hanneman agreed and then added "We arent fans of the whole mask thing, but they make great music".

Not that you have to agree, but it shows how narrow minded everyone is, the only reason, and I REPEAT, the ONLY reason people say Slipknot sucks is because everyone else does. Like I said, if you can enjoy death/black metal, theres no reason you wont enjoy Slipknot to some degree.

One other thing before it crops up (and it will crop up as it always seems to follow them around!) is the guitar playing, anyone who says what they play is easy is incredibly ignorant, yes they have a few easy songs (mostly from the first album) but they dont just sit on the bottom string like "true" metal fans seem to love saying. Which only goes to prove my point that people judge them before honestly giving their music a chance. Not everything has to have a million mile an hour solo in it.

God this post is long, I know im wasting my time too :lol:

Anyway, to sum up my rather long and boring argument: If Slipknot had sold only 10000 records, then all the black/death fans would be saying the same "Why arent they selling albums like (Insert numetal band here)" because they dont want their bands to be famous, they just wanna whine and bitch. Which makes them more numetal than the bands. :D

Ahhh Spawny.... I'm not afraid of being called a poser, coz if I was I wouldn't walk around in a Bon Jovi shirt with Poison blasting out of my discman :)

And there is a huge difference between listening to SLipknot and death metal.... because death metal is usually (not always, theres lots of boring stuff around) intelligent, technical, inventive music. Even though I don't listen to it myself.

It just depends on what people want to get out of their music. I listen to metal because I treat music as escapism, and I love rock n roll. Most metal has an escapist, rock n roll attitude. Slipknot and most nu-metal bands try too hard to make political/social commentaries in their music but usually it only comes off as immature anger release.

intelligent

Death metal intelligent??? :lol: Well, I disagree there, in fact id say very very little metal in general could be described as intelligent, only the cream of the crop bands wise in each genre could get away with being called that! Not to say its not enjoyable still though!

I dont see how Slipknot is an immature anger release and Death Metal isnt, people in Death Metal (this isnt you of course troops as like you said you dont listen to it!) have this sacrosanct "holier than thou" attitude about it, as if Slipknot cant be death metal because they are popular. They play REALLY heavy stuff, blast beats, growling vocals, VERY high energy fast stuff. Thats pretty much death metal for ya! If its not death metal, its as close as you could ever get to it before becoming it.
Slipknots lyrics arent about how bad a life they have had, a few songs are, but it goes to show how little people know about them when they say all their stuff is.

Anyway, heres some more smilies :) :D :) :lol: ;)

Metal fans are without a SHADOW of a doubt the most narrow minded people.

Correction - prog metal fans are without a SHADOW of a doubt the most narrow minded people. I know, cos I used to be one.

:)

Ahh but I said they dont do too much, not that they dont do anything! You can hear them on the records easily

About the masks and suits, Kiss did the same thing, I dont see anyone bagging them because of it.

Not that you have to agree, but it shows how narrow minded everyone is, the only reason, and I REPEAT, the ONLY reason people say Slipknot sucks is because everyone else does.
What the percussionists do on the records could be done by the drummer (yeah I admit it, he is a good drummer), but no, he relaxes and takes it easy while these ""percussionists"" pointlessly tap at their tubs.

When I first saw footage of Kiss in their full get-up, I laughed for days and refused to listen to anything they put out for years. Only recently I am starting to get into them after realising they aren't so bad.

I actually bought Slipknot's self titled album about a week after it was released in Australia after hearing so much hype about it, and hearing that they had 3 "drummers" I thought they might have some interesting tribal type beats. Boy was I wrong. All I had heard off the album was "Spit it Out" which I didn't mind that much, but thought the album may differ. After hearing the whole thing I just thought "this is something that can become commercial nu-metal, and all these kids will think they are "metalheads" and "hardcore" because it is agressive music", and I was exactly right. I gave it a few more tries but just ended up liking it even less.

See, I have some idea what I'm talking about! :D