Grammy Nominations 2011. Wut.

My teacher for my Business Of Music course was a member of the society that votes on the Grammy's. He showed us the voting ballot and explained how many of the results are achieved: if there's a category which you are not familiar with the artists or music...most just vote for who they may have heard of. Even he saw it as a load of crap.

Damn, I'm way out of the loop when it comes to modern pop hit music. Out of the OP's list I didn't recognize the following names in any way:

B.o.B, Bruno Mars, Cee Lo Green, Lady Antebellum, Arcade Fire, Drake, Florence & The Machine. Mumford & Sons and Esperanza Spalding.

Not sure if I should be worried or glad, though.

You and I are in the same boat then. Don't know about you...but I'm glad.

It really isn't any worse than it's been for as long as I can remember.

Egan, here's a graph I made that illustrates your sentiment (and mine).
032e1f1d-9285-4add-a66f-68fb3bc1dc91.png

My teacher for my Business Of Music course was a member of the society that votes on the Grammy's. He showed us the voting ballot and explained how many of the results are achieved: if there's a category which you are not familiar with the artists or music...most just vote for who they may have heard of. Even he saw it as a load of crap.
You just described democracy.

pisses me off that glee has several nominations, the singing on that show is awful (from the one episode I saw), it's so massively autotuned it's not even funny

pisses me off that glee has several nominations, the singing on that show is awful (from the one episode I saw), it's so massively autotuned it's not even funny

Fucking +1. I used to be somewhat into the show but now it's just horrendous and god awful. The writing on it is terrible and the singing is... not really singing.

Eminem is the only name I knew before coming to this forum and Gearslutz.
Have never heard of any of the names Jarkko listed either.
I always find it really ironic that we would kinda come here to escape a lot of this drivel 'music' and the only place we end up hearing about it is here :lol:
I don't ever listen to the radio, pay no attention to the charts, and I'm a recluse so I don't go to shopping centers (malls) and hear this stuff :lol:

Just read one of the touring members of Arcade Fire is from Bell Orchestre.
Maybe they're an okay band, dunno, but I do like Bell Orchestre.

I hope Cee Lo and Eminem win fucking everything. Antebellum? get the FUCK out of here. Cant stand country, and hate wannabe garbage pop country more than anything. Living in this dire fucking hellhole wasteland piece of shit TX, its like all you fucking hear.

Got no love for Bruno Mars either... and I gave him a shot. His rhymes are weak as fuck.

LoG nominated again... heh. Great group of guys, I just dunno about that... however, they're better than anything else up there, so...

Let me see here..hummm...

Didn't expect to see Michael Daugherty's "Metropolis Symphony; Deus Ex Machina" and I was just listening to it today :lol: And Alban Berg's "Lulu" is up for best Opera recording! Sweeeeet. Berg is my homeboy and I luvz some hooker killin'. I do have a soft spot for Hans Werner Henze, so hopefully he wins in his category.
I never knew they had a category for "Best Improvised Jazz Solo". I'm torn between Keith Jarrett or Herbie Hancock. Though Keith Jarrett does mumble loudly during his solos. :lol:

The list this year doesn't look as good as last year, but then again, I liked what was on the top 40 last year a lot better than what was on it this year.