Graphic EQ for live guitar rig, dbx 131s or something else...

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Hey guys,

I'm searching for a good graphic EQ for my live guitar rig. I'm thinking about getting a 31-band unit since it has much more control of the upper mids and highs than 10 bands eq. So far I think I'll be going for the dbx 131s (or 231s but I don't think I will need the second channel though), any experience/feedback/opinion on this unit?

Thanks in advance,

Brett

I have an ART 31-band in my rack that I haven't used in years. The last I used it, it was just in the loop, with mids/high mids boosted, used as a lead boost. No experience with the dbx that you speak of. I imagine it's not much different. Mine has HP/LP knobs as well as a +/- 6/12 dB range button....and a overall volume as well. When I bought mine, I asked around a fair bit and most responses I got were "don't get a graphic eq, get a parametric for guitars".....as a good chunk of the bands won't even be used for a guitar signal. I'd say try it out if you can. And, if it doesnt work out - at least you have an extra EQ laying around for other purposes.

I'll be using either the Peavey 6505 or the Engl Savage 120 (haven't decided which one I'll use yet since I got the Engl).

I'm really not that much interested in a parametric eq actually but I'll look into those too thanks for the tip :) Oh and noise isn't much of an issue since I'll run a noise gate right after the Eq in the loop.

Klark Teknik DN360 :D

But I agree it's overkill to have a 31 band graphic in a guitar rig.

Hmm... Not to discourage or anything, but why do you think you need an eq at all? If you're running a 6505 you'll probably already have a very good tone, so the main problem should be (and usually is) what goes out through FOH.

I do FOH for a BM band and in the beginning I considered solutions like EQ on the amp side to fix things, but I quickly noticed that it was pointless because it didn't solve the issues for me at all. What I do nowadays is to travel with a 2x31band that I run on inserts on the guitars at FOH and it's a lifesaver. Especially when you can't fiddle around with mic positioning for hours on end (and even if you get the perfect position, lo and behold the stage tech stumbles over the mic stand 5 mins later anyway).

Point being, if it sounds bad at FOH it's quite likely that your tone is not the problem. If you don't have your own FOH guy, that certainly doesn't make it easier of course. But on the other hand, if you think your tone is the problem then by all means, try something out. But if you have your own FOH guy, maybe try putting the 2x31 in his hands first. :)

Klark Teknik: a bit over my budget, haha

@tgs: I'm not using the EQ to fix my guitar tone, I see it more like a "take it a bit further toward my ideal tone" ;) I'm sending the FOH premixed elements on separate channels, so the less the sound guy has to do the better.

Aah, so it's not to run in the fx loop or something. Well in that case, by all means! About the dbx, I work with it for FOH now and then, no real opinion about it. It does its job.

What I use on guitar inserts is actually a Behringer, believe it or not. ;) People can say what they want but it works just fine for me. Only 2 rack units, has HPF AND LPF, plus diodes on all faders which makes it much easier to operate in the darkness that I'm often confided to. Maybe it's noisy or whatever, but with all the crap that goes in the signal path in many of the venues I work in it's not exactly the weakest point anyway.

...and of course, it's pretty damn cheap!

Edit: whoops, 3 rack units of course, my bad.

Actually yes it might be in the FX loop (because that way I could get rid of any noise it would generate), but I run my guitar amp without cabinet though a Torpedo VB-101 so the sound is always the same. If the dbx is totally noise free then I'll run it after the Torpedo though. :)

Actually yes it might be in the FX loop (because that way I could get rid of any noise it would generate), but I run my guitar amp without cabinet though a Torpedo VB-101 so the sound is always the same. If the dbx is totally noise free then I'll run it after the Torpedo though. :)

Where I'm at they have the DBX in most music stores. Could drop by and try it...I used a behringer one for a while when I was younger. I found it took too much from my tone to warrant the extra sculpting.

Where I'm at they have the DBX in most music stores. Could drop by and try it...I used a behringer one for a while when I was younger. I found it took too much from my tone to warrant the extra sculpting.

whatever you do, don't buy a behringer 31 band eq. noisy piece of junk.

get dbx if it fits your price range

whatever you do, don't buy a behringer 31 band eq. noisy piece of junk.

get dbx if it fits your price range

Slightly awkward phasing sometimes, I can vouch for. But noisy... Their DIs are the noisiest things I've ever heard and I always travel with 133s to replace whenever they get put under my nose, but I honestly haven't had any issues with the EQ. I haven't ran it across the mix though, only on channel insert, but that shouldn't make much difference.

As a footnote, I worked a gig in the middle of nowhere in northern Romania last year, don't know how the promoter managed to book that tour, we all figured he must have had very rich parents. They actually rented most of the stuff in our specs which amazed me even further, but the local sound guy explained to me that he didn't bother to rent a mains EQ because all they had was a dbx, which "is made in the same factory as Behringer". I wanted to strangle him... I gave him the task to get me an EQ but it turns out it's not that easy to sort out in Transylvania. I ended up trying to sort it out with the crossovers. Of course, with the incredible crowd turnout, I guess it didn't matter much.

I'll be using either the Peavey 6505 or the Engl Savage 120 (haven't decided which one I'll use yet since I got the Engl).

I'm really not that much interested in a parametric eq actually but I'll look into those too thanks for the tip :) Oh and noise isn't much of an issue since I'll run a noise gate right after the Eq in the loop.
I own the DBX 231. I was unsure about the two channels, but I now use it for two different amps (Peavey 6505+ and Framus Dragon).

As far as noise, I really haven't had an issue with it. For the Peavey, I run an NS-2 after the EQ. For the Framus, I just run it straight up in the FX loop. I can say the unit defiantly helps me "sculpt" my tone to an extent, and helps me get certain sounds out of each head that compliment each other nicely.

The low cut on the EQ is basically pointless in the loop (It puts a high pass filter @ 50Hz 12dB/oct). At least to my ears, the range button (to 12dB) is too extreme and alters your tone way too much.

Briefly, what do you want the EQ to do for your tone?

Briefly, sculpt it to make it godly, I don't think I'll go with more than 6db of cut ;)

StayTrue are you using both amps together live?

Thank you all for your comments. I believe dbx is a respected brand so I'm pretty confident it will do the job nicely. I will definitely stay away from anything Behringer, had 3 products from them and regretted buying two of those.

I've used the DBX 215 to do exactly what you're looking for (link: http://www.dbxpro.com/215/ ).

I do like the 231s - but I've only used them for FOH / Mons mixing, never over a specific instrument. Should work much the same as the 215 in terms of tone sculpting!

Briefly, sculpt it to make it godly, I don't think I'll go with more than 6db of cut ;)

StayTrue are you using both amps together live?

Thank you all for your comments. I believe dbx is a respected brand so I'm pretty confident it will do the job nicely. I will definitely stay away from anything Behringer, had 3 products from them and regretted buying two of those.
I do not use them together at the moment, but having the two channels allows me to set each amp up different. The lead channel on the Dragon is very dark, especially through my Mesa OS cab. I try to EQ my Dragon more towards the Peavey when I use it.

I also should have mentioned I use the EQ for recording, especially when I am going for a certain sounds out of each amp. For my Framus, I have that amp do more of the upper mids sound, and the Peavey does the lower end grunt. I have found the EQ is extremely useful for fizz spikes in the upper mids.

Used the DBX alot for live Foh and a few times for monitors. I've got one in my live rack as mains EQ.
It's a decent, quiet unit that does what it's supposed to. I've definately used some much worse graphics than the DBX.

I'd recommend getting one used and seeing if running the EQ gets you that extra bit you want. If it works then sweet, if not then I doubt buying something better would fare much better.