What about adding a 1073 pre to a live guitar rig?

Pringles

Former Zerg user
Jul 31, 2010
Hi,

I'm about to invest in a POD HD Pro for a live rig. I'm also about to invest in a pre for vocal & acoustic guitars recording like 2x 1073LB+EQ or Aurora GTQ2 (stereo). So I was thinking, why not combining the vocal pre and the POD HD Pro for a live rig? I know it's done in studio (Butch Vig uses a TG2 with his PODxt) but I don't think I ever saw this kind of studio pres in a guitar rig so I was wondering if it would really improve the overall sound? I'd tend to say yes (especially with the EQ section of the 1073 or GTQ2) so I'd like to know what you think about that.

Thanks
cetrio.gif

Why don't you just buy a real tube head, you'll spend half the money you're talking about (and probably have a better tone to boot)

Plus in a live situation I really don't think the "flavor" that a 1073 type pre adds will be audibly noticeable to anyone except you, and even less if you are playing places that do not have a super clean, uncolored, line array type PA system.

Plus you have all the variables getting the tone from amp to audience. Mic placement and engineer EQ. I just really don't think this kind of investment is worth it for a maybe 2% improvement in tone.

Not to mention, if it were me, it would constantly be in the back of my head that someone would have their eye on a rig like that if they knew what to look for and it would be very easy for someone to just grab it and walk away.

Get the 1073. Don't use it in the live rig. No reason really. When you're playing guitar loud as fuck, none of the drunk idiots listening to you will notice the pre.

Why not get a POD HD500 so you don't need another floor pedal? I'm actually using a HD500 as a live rig ATM and it lasted for 3 gigs. Now I'm getting a cheap Bugera to be my power amp and I'm probably using the preamps of my HD. Main point... the cabs in the POD HD series is NOWHERE near todays modeling standards.

Don't laugh at this. But back when I was using my POD XTL I found that using a Behringer MIC200 pre on the valve setting REALLY improved the sound coming out of my pod. It's obviously just a preset eq but I found it reduced fizz and got rid of some crap in the mids. I keep thinking about buying one of those again actually as it was a great bass DI aswell. Or I might give the ART version a go actually.

It was back when I was first starting out and I was recording on a Yamaha AW16G! Honestly though you'd probably be surprised at how not shitty it was! Honestly considering picking one up to use as a bass DI as I really liked it.

@arv_foh

I'm a pretty happy POD user so I'm not looking to buy something else in replacement and like I said, I'm about to buy a pre for vocals and acoustic guitars recording so I'll buy either the 1073 or the GTQ2. You may be right that the 1073 color won't be really heard but maybe this little adjustment actually will make a difference ;) In fact, the reason I'm asking this is because if a 1073 won't really improve the POD sound, I'll just buy one mono and save thousands of $$. If it does, I'll buy either 2 1073 or the GTQ2.

Get the 1073. Don't use it in the live rig. No reason really. When you're playing guitar loud as fuck, none of the drunk idiots listening to you will notice the pre.

hahaha I like that one :D

Why not get a POD HD500 so you don't need another floor pedal? I'm actually using a HD500 as a live rig ATM and it lasted for 3 gigs. Now I'm getting a cheap Bugera to be my power amp and I'm probably using the preamps of my HD. Main point... the cabs in the POD HD series is NOWHERE near todays modeling standards.

I don't want a POD HD500 because the POD HD Pro will also be part of my recording rig and it has more inputs/outputs XLR, S/PDIF and so on. You're saying that the HD cabs are poorly modeled?

Don't laugh at this. But back when I was using my POD XTL I found that using a Behringer MIC200 pre on the valve setting REALLY improved the sound coming out of my pod. It's obviously just a preset eq but I found it reduced fizz and got rid of some crap in the mids. I keep thinking about buying one of those again actually as it was a great bass DI aswell. Or I might give the ART version a go actually.

I'm sure it adds something, not sure how much though. Many techs who use PODs, often add a high quality pre after the POD (like Butch Vig and the TG2) so it must be for a reason ;)

Those Behringer pre's are one of their better products for sure. I still have mic100, I use it for guitar noodling around at home. It actually is pretty decent DI!