Live guitar rig?

Everybody

Hail Santa
Mar 31, 2009
SC
I just tried to search for this, but didnt find much as it led me to a bunch of guitar rig (the software) threads.

Just tryin to get some ideas of a good basic starter guitar rig. the music is death metal. so ya know, heavy gain, tight guitars with little feedback, not many effects.

only one guitarist does some effects in our songs (clean riffs, light delay and reverb) and the other does solos (maybe some delay?)

Im assuming their gonna have to get pedalboards as racks can get costly.

what are some live rig essentials?

thanks

Nice amp
Nice cab
Noise Suppressor
Tuner
Tubescreamer
Delay
Wireless system?
Footswitch for amp

Not much to it really. Just gotta find out what suits.

Same as with the studio, 5150/6505 and Mesa dual/triple recs are pretty standard fare for death metal live. Pretty broad question though as everyones gonna have preferences and differing opinons on tones of different amps. There is no definitive answer and great amps can be easily dialed in horribly, some crappy amps can be made to sound nice in the right hands.

Boosts out front from tubescreamers are pretty common, ISP decimators are the go to noise gates for feedback free stops.

yea i know there would be a lot of opinions, which is good haha, i guess ill pick and choose from each.

one thing that does narrow it down is cost. right out of high school college students working at a car washes and a gas station.

Guitarist #1
Peavey XXX head
Shitty Peavey cab from craigslist
Ibanez Chorus Pedal
Line 6 2x12 combo (for practice)

Guitarist #2
Line 6 2x12 Combo

Guitarist #3
Line 6 2x12 Combo

So you see, anything really is gonna be a step up from the line 6s.

so for guitarist #1 next step is getting a new cab i assume. (Avatar 2x12s are one sale ima try and persuade him into that..good idea? or is 2x12 not good live) then after than just a noise suppressor (isp or boss ns-2?) and a TS should be fine for starters?

and for the other ones..i know that they cant afford to get a good head ($500ish used) but may be able to get an okay cab..but idk. they basically need a need setup for like $500. maybe used windsor w/ ts7//ts9 and..a cheap decent cab? suggestions?

wireles setup would be sweet haha
and whats a good footswitch?

Ibanez TS7 (~50) - Boss NS2 (~90) - Peavey ValveKing (~450 new, a lot less second hand) - 4x12 or 2x12 Cabinet (pretty much whatever with V30's, I got my 2x12 with V30's for 200€)

...and why 3 guitarists? It only works for like maybe 4 bands in the world.

Ibanez TS7 (~50) - Boss NS2 (~90) - Peavey ValveKing (~450 new, a lot less second hand) - 4x12 or 2x12 Cabinet (pretty much whatever with V30's, I got my 2x12 with V30's for 200€)

...and why 3 guitarists? It only works for like maybe 4 bands in the world.

oh nice, i was wondering if the valveking was any good or not. thanks for the suggestions with the prices so i didnt have to go google each of them ha

3 guitarists just cause one can play sweet solos, the other writes good riffs, and the other plays andy mckee//joe satriani type stuff, and they are 3 good friends and wanted to start a band.

i think that its going to be a disaster on stage haha but the one song we do have is sounding pretty nice!

I wouldn't buy a windsor for death metal. 2X12's would probably be the best option and the used market is very much so your friend. You could probably leave out the ts7's for a few weeks and get them at a later date, your main focus should be getting a nice head.

Another cheaper route would be to get a solid state P.A power amp and have the 2 line 6 guys run through your recording rig running amp sims minus cab emulation into real cabs. That way you can use good( free!!) amps sims, gates and a boost and whatever effects you want. If your into getting technical with your routing and all that in your daw it should be a breeze to set it up. You'll only need 1 stereo power amp for both guys and a cab each, you should be able to pick that up for like 500 no problem, split between 2 guys thats very little and the potential is there for great tone.

2X12's are fine. I've got a Marshall 1936 2X12 w/ celestion gt75's thats been my main live cab for 5-6 years. Also got a Harley Benton V30 loaded 2x12 thats nice. They stack well against my Laney 4X12 also w/ gt75's.

Another cheaper route would be to get a solid state P.A power amp and have the 2 line 6 guys run through your recording rig running amp sims minus cab emulation into real cabs. That way you can use good( free!!) amps sims, gates and a boost and whatever effects you want. If your into getting technical with your routing and all that in your daw it should be a breeze to set it up. You'll only need 1 stereo power amp for both guys and a cab each, you should be able to pick that up for like 500 no problem, split between 2 guys thats very little and the potential is there for great tone.

whoa haha what???

Yeah I used to do it for live gigs, run amp sims live out to real cabs using a poweramp. Guitar-> Interface->Line out-> Poweramp->Cab.
Been discussed on this board a number of times. You can get pretty savage tones and since you've already got the interface you can use some of the many free amp sims. For 2 guitarists you'd need a stereo poweramp ( P.A amps work well enough) and 2 cabs. Cheap and great sounding but a little more complicated than a regular head.

The valve king isnt amazing, but its good enough to get by. Honestly you can find used 5150s / 6505s for the same price as a new Valveking.

This was all Valveking into a Marshall 4x12 with v30s
http://www.myspace.com/babilos

To compare it to the 5150 see the remixed version of Trapped In The Pit on my MySpace page, same band same guitars just re-amped through a 5150 with the same Marshall Cab

http://www.myspace.com/guitarguru777