Had an SM7B given to me, not sure what to do

JasinElric

Straf Drah Studio
Apr 25, 2012
I was given a brand new SM7B a while back, I just found it again while going through storage. The thing is, I run a very cheap rig here. I have no mic preamp, my interface is a pod studio UX2. I'm kind of just uncertain of where to go from here. Would it be better to invest in a better interface and a mic pre or sell the SM7B and just get a better interface? I've been debating for days and still not sure which is the best route.

My current rig works for what I need it for, it's not like I'm lacking in any crucial resources, I'm just not certain which is the best path to build my rig upwards.

You should just get a clean level booster such as a Cloutlifter or Fethead. These give you the level needed for an SM7B thru your existing preamps as long as they have phantom power. Either that, or just sell the SM7B and buy something else.

You should just get a clean level booster such as a Cloutlifter or Fethead. These give you the level needed for an SM7B thru your existing preamps as long as they have phantom power. Either that, or just sell the SM7B and buy something else.
Is it worth getting the Fethead with the UX2? Are the shitty pres really noticeable? I do see the SM7B as something I'd like to use, just not sure if I would be wasting it on my current rig, like not using it to it's potential.

Edit: I went with the Fethead. Found a cheap one and seemed like the right end to this back-of-mind dilemma on what to do with this SM7B. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sell it and by a new interface? ;)
I've read most interfaces in this price bracket are roughly the same in regards to mic pres. I went with the Fethead, I'll eventually get a better interface, but when I do it'll be an actual upgrade

I've read most interfaces in this price bracket are roughly the same in regards to mic pres. I went with the Fethead, I'll eventually get a better interface, but when I do it'll be an actual upgrade

I don't know if this is entirely true... I mean, I don't think the UX2 has great preamps and converters. Obviously, if you buy a 1500$ RME you'll get top of the line stuff, but I was under the impression that the Focusrite stuff, even the low range of their products, in the 250$ ish price range, has better components than the UX2.

But hey, if you went for the Fethead that's fine too.

Cheers

I don't know if this is entirely true... I mean, I don't think the UX2 has great preamps and converters. Obviously, if you buy a 1500$ RME you'll get top of the line stuff, but I was under the impression that the Focusrite stuff, even the low range of their products, in the 250$ ish price range, has better components than the UX2.

But hey, if you went for the Fethead that's fine too.

Cheers
I think there is some debate over whether or not the Focusrite stuff has better pres, I know the build quality is definitely more stable, durable, and generally more professional. To me as just a dude making home recordings it's not that big of a deal, but I do aim to upgrade, I just want the upgrades to be significant. If the Focusrite does something like lower my noise floor by a dB or so I can't really call it an upgrade worth it. Fethead just came in the mail today, so I'm going to hope it works out.

Reactions: H-evolve
That is a fantastic microphone! Don't sell it if you are serious about recording good quality stuff. You will need to get a preamp to power that bad boy though!