bass compression in a live rig

Manicompression

doing it for the kids
Aug 20, 2007
Cleveland OH
Hey dudes, My buddy wants to get a rackmount compressor to help even out his sound. His rig at this point consists of a schecter stiletto studio 5 string, into an Ampeg Svt pro 3, into a top of the line gallien krueger 4x10. He plays with his fingers. So the problem is that its very muddy sounding in the lower registers and could use some overall even-ness.

1) will compression help ease some of the general Boom, and bring out the fundamental within reason (i dont expect to ever hear a low b that sounds entirely clear on any live rig)

2) what would you recommend for a live rig, Ive done some google searching and come up with little that convinces me, or informs me.

Thanks in advance for any input

Muddiness is generally an eq issue rather than a compression issue. Obviously you shouldn't discount problems with the room when you assess these things.
The right (new) strings go a long way as does good technique. I would really try to experiment with eq and strings before buying more gear.
One thing to factor in is that most 4x10" are not going to deliver chest pounding bass so if you eq them chasing that you are more likely to come up with something inarticulate with some loud resonances.
Compression can even out playing some but I have to say that I have never found it necessary. You can spend a lot of time and $ building a rack but IME bass-->amp-->cab should get you 95% of the way there and if it doesn't then adding more hear just makes your rack heavier.
YMMV

hmmmmm, right on dude, well right now the ampeg is set pretty much flat (it has a graphic eq on it), and the room is dead as fuck, we have all sorts of carpet and diffusion in the corners, celing, and such. Not because I think its helping anything but because the neighbors bitch alot. I appreciate the your thoughts on this though, as the daylight stuff sounds freaking awesome.

Well I would suggest fucking with the eq on the ampeg, pumping up the high mids and treble, and dropping some of the low mids out to try and clear the mud up slightly.

cool, thanks for the replies guys, Ive never played with anyone who uses a 5 string before so its all new to me. COBHC, I will give this a whirl. POT, thanks for the link, the head we are using has a graphic so Im going to try and root out the problem as much as possible as suggeted by everyone, but should we choose compression in the rack those settings should be a helpfull starting point. rock it.