EQ+multiband comp for live rig ?

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello,

Do you think it can be useful to process yourself your guitars before sending the signal to the venue ? Like, after guitar+mix or axefx or what you want, add an EQ for HP/LP and a multiband comp to tame the lowend, and then send this to the FOH engineer ? Or is it useless ? (I'm not very experienced in live gigs).

If yes, what is the best option in terms of pedals/gear. Are there more convenient ways than carrying a parametric EQ and a multiband comp in a rack ?

theoretically it might be usefull, but i think it's too much hassle.

The big ass places propably already have the new gen. digital consoles with mb compression, in smaller places you wouldn't notice the difference.

If you do it like you described the FOH guy can't change the settings during the show...
For instance on support gigs where you don't have the time to do a proper soundcheck you could make your sound engineers life hard.

SoundSpiral said:
If you do it like you described the FOH guy can't change the settings during the show...
For instance on support gigs where you don't have the time to do a proper soundcheck you could make your sound engineers life hard.

How can it make his life hard as the goal is to pre-clean the guitars, and not really eq or compress them ? Its just to remove low end and fizz and tame the mid/lows

Every venue just sounds different.
In some places you perhaps won't need to eq the sound at all, or in some venues the lo-pass should be higher etc. Maybe the multiband is not doing anything good to the sound in that specific place...

We usually go as far as comparing different channels of my amp before each show to find out the right one for that place. And I must say the settings/channels change quite a bit from venue to venue.

It is the FOH guys job to fit the guitar to the mix. By giving him/her a "natural" guitar sound you give him/her the most room to move.

But this is just what floats our boat.