Graspop 2009

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Confirmed so far:
HEAVEN AND HELL, DISTURBED, VOLBEAT, PAPA ROACH, BLIND GUARDIAN, ANTHRAX, TRIVIUM, SACRED REICH, W.A.S.P., DEVILDRIVER, EPICA, LEGION OF THE DAMNED, PARKWAY DRIVE, GOD FORBID, KATAKLYSM, FIREWIND, LAAZ ROCKIT, KEEP OF KALESSIN, SCAR SYMMETRY, SAMAEL, DAGOBA, NEGURA BUNGET, TAAKE, ETHS and WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM.

Nov Doom MUST play again this year.

Blind Guardian = Vito gets a stiffy

Epica = Everyone ELSE getting a stiffy!! :headbang:

That's understandable, I suppose.

Would have been cool to possibly get up close to Simone!! :) J/K

Anyhow, seems they put together a nice diverse package of bands.

Would've loved to play again this year but as Paid said, not a possibility.

However, that being said, so far I think I liked last year's lineup better. Of course this list isn't even half-done yet, I'm guessing. But that last fest had far more bands that I was actually interested in seeing than not.

Yeah, the report I saw said that they have yet to name the headliners.
I suppose Metallica could be an option? Who knows!

I would love to hear about all the bands you saw while there, if you cared to share the story.

There's really not a whole lot to tell, to be honest. We didn't do a lot of backstage shmoozing, though I guess we could've because the opportunities were there. But that's just not really our thing. Obviously one of the highlights was getting to see My Dying Bride after all these years, and we spent some time before and after the show hanging out with them and joking around. Paul and Andy especially go way back and talk to each other fairly often, so it was nice for them to get to hang out face to face again. Their set was fantastic and it was great to hear the violin present again. I really like this current lineup of MDB.

Bands like Testament, Immortal, and At The Gates were all, of course, quite good and entertaining. Testament's sound was a bit off, which was a disappointment. But they played great despite it. I was especially interested in some of the more "rock" acts like Tesla, Whitesnake, and Rose Tattoo. They were all pretty good though I was a lil' bit disappointed with Whitesnake's setlist. I thought the setlist on their last DVD was amazing, I had kinda hoped for something more similar. Rose Tattoo were fantastic, and while I'm not overly familiar with their whole catalog, it didn't matter as they played great and kept my interest.

We missed quite a few bands due to being busy with ND duties, unfortunately. I missed Yngwie and Moonspell's sets, though I did run into them backstage and talked for a bit. Some of the bands I just watched on the backstage monitors and could hear them loud and clear anyhow, while I ate the free food :)

Morbid Angel were excellent, though they played on what I'd call the "shitty stage", haha. Hadn't seen them in many years and it was nice having Vincent back.

I had a blast watching KISS (of course) and the highlight was when Paul Stanley was talking about the fest and started doing his impression of a Death Metal growl, obviously poking fun at those kinds of bands (like us!!) It was really funny.

Iron Maiden was awesome, though I'd seen them about two weeks prior here in the States so I kinda already knew what to expect. But standing there and watching about 60,000 fans all headbanging and singing along with "The Trooper" and "Aces High" was a really amazing sight and pretty cool to be a part of.

The downside for me was that I got approached at least two dozen times by fans who barely spoke English and were convinced I was Andy from My Dying Bride :lol: Andy told me I should've said "yes that's me" and just been a rude cunt to them since he'd take all the blame anyhow!!! haha

Cool!
Immortal are always great live.

Funny you mention Testament's sound issues.
They had MAJOR issues at Halford's Metal Gods thing a few years ago at HOB. I had heard from others that they had experienced bad sounding Testament shows. Maybe they need a new crew! (Obviously, there could have been external factors involved).

I would love to see MDB someday.
Hopefully they could work out a viable US package in the future.

Well a problem with that HOB Testament show from years back was also gear related. Eric Peterson played a bunch of the songs on a guitar that was tuned a half-step different from the other guitarist because the properly tuned guitar was fucked up. I remember the whole debacle clearly because I knew the guitar tech. He tried telling Eric not to use the guitar because it was detuned for one of the "Low" songs, but for some reason Eric used it anyhow. So that was one of the problems at that show that I recall. That whole Metal Gods tour was a debacle from the start anyhow I guess.

Immortal were entertaining live, to be sure. I'm not a massive fan though so I don't quite see what all the major fuss is about but whatever, I still find them enjoyable enough and they entertain well.

I'm not a big Immortal fan either, but there would be a certain appeal to seeing them play live. I hope I get to see Testament and Iron Maiden someday before Chuck or Bruce keel over, ha ha. Sadly, I don't see Graspop being much of an option for me. :cry:

This year's lineup looks OK, with a few gems (WITTR, Negura Bunget and Scar Symmetry) and a few duds (Trivium and Disturbed :ill:). I'm really curious to see how the two new vocalists for SS will affect their sound.

The line up is phenomenal. However, doesn't this festival draw 100,000 people? No thanks. After attending Wacken (65,000), I have no desire to attend festivals with crowds this size. We did Sweden Rock last year, a little more than 30,000, and that was much more manageable. I'm rooting for ND to land at Metal Camp this year.

Zod

I am not a huge black metal fan in general.
I became an Immortal fan after seeing them open for Manowar at Riley's Rock House. One of the most memorable club performances ever. Very talented band.

I agree with what Zod said. Not sure how enjoyable it would be to see a band surrounded by 100,000 people.

I am sure it would be something cool to experience at least once though.

I agree with what Zod said. Not sure how enjoyable it would be to see a band surrounded by 100,000 people.

I am sure it would be something cool to experience at least once though.
I'd opt for something a bit smaller. There are a ton of great festivals. Try to find something a bit smaller in scale, where there's a fair amount of real estate to spread out. Sweden Rock had a very ideal people to real estate ratio.

Zod

Most likely will never happen for me.
My wife is not into metal at all.
With kids too, would be hard to justify the cost and time away from home to do a Euro festival.
Hard enough to make it to local area gigs!

I have heard horror stories though, about how easy it is to miss a band you really want to see, esp if they are on a stage far from one you are currently at, or if there are 2 bands playing simultaneously.

This past year the average daily turnout was about 55,000 people I think. But at no point did I feel like I was really crowded or inconvenienced by the number of people. And believe me, I fucking HATE being in crowds. I've never been at Wacken so I don't know how the layout is there, or how difficult it is dealing with the crowds. But Graspop was great, alot of fun and alot to do. I tend to enjoy more intimate shows as well, but standing there about halfway back from the stage during Maiden, off to one side and just surveying the massive crowd all cheering and singing along, with the massive show going on onstage as well, was an amazing sight and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Most likely will never happen for me. My wife is not into metal at all. With kids too, would be hard to justify the cost and time away from home to do a Euro festival.
I assume you've tried to convert her? Does she force you to give equal time to whatever it is she listens to?

I actually started my wife's conversion process on our first date. The first thing she heard when she got in my car... Operation: Mindcrime. I've been lucky. She loves going to shows, even to see bands who are heavier than what she enjoys listening to in the car, because she digs the energy at Metal shows.

I've never been at Wacken so I don't know how the layout is there, or how difficult it is dealing with the crowds.
It was crazy. The True Metal Stage and The Black Stage are right next to each other. They are the two big stages. There's typically 15 minutes between a band finishing their set on one stage and the next band starting their set on the other. However, if you want to walk the 100 yards through the crowd, to get to the other stage during a band's set, it can take 20 minutes. Even worse, at one point, we attempted to see Tyr on W.E.T. Stage (which is actually a tent, closed in on three sides0; it was insane. We were hanging in there comfortably, when all of a sudden, five minutes before show time, the place filled to the point where it was like nothing we've ever experienced before. We had to forcefully push our way out. Crazy.

Zod

I assume you've tried to convert her? Does she force you to give equal time to whatever it is she listens to?

She is not too into music.
Just whatever she hears on the radio.

When we were first dating many years ago, she would go with me to shows. Now whenever I ask her to go, I get the, "I don't have to go to shows now that we are married!", jokingly. I never made her go in the first place!

I think there is a lot of metal out there that folks not into metal would enjoy, if they were to give it the chance.

I think there is a lot of metal out there that folks not into metal would enjoy, if they were to give it the chance.
I've always felt that there's a unique energy at Metal shows that's simply a lot of fun, regardless of whether you love the music. I took a buddy to see In Flames (Clayman tour) who only listens to Hip Hop, he ended up in the pit. I took my niece who loves Justin Timberlake and Nsych to see Amon Amarth (With Odin on Our Side tour), she didn't stop talking about it or thanking me for days. Took my 15 year old neices and nephews, who are into Punk and Ska, to see Iced Earth (Glorious Burden tour). To this day, they say it's one of the best shows they've seen.

Zod

Absolutely.
It's hard to top the energy of a solid metal performance.
It's just hard sometimes to get folks not into metal to be willing to give it a shot.

I brought a friend who is primarily into punk (Though was into metal back in the day) to see HammerFall, and thought it was a blast!

I think a lot of people (myself included for MANY years) from back in the day have this misconception that all underground metal has to offer is death and black metal, which takes a while to click even for folks who ARE into metal.

On the flipside, one of the best things about true metal though is that a niche group of fans like us truly "get it" Maybe that's not to the financial benefit of the bands and labels, but the fans do stick through thick and thin!

Kinda as a side note, discussing going to shows and stuff..... On NYE I played with my cover band at the Radisson in Indiana, for a huge crowd of about 800 people. (For those who don't know, this is pretty much how I earn my dough, because frankly, death metal don't pay LOL). Anyhow, due to the nature of the event, the crowd was mostly what you would call "normal" people, aged between 21 and early 30's mostly, the kind you'd probably see at a club downtown where dance music and expensive martini drinks are the norm.
The vast amount of rude, insensitive people in that crowd was just staggering. Obviously being NYE, the majority of them were drunk, which is fine, but I was still somewhat amazed at how rude and uncivilised many of them behaved. You'd be trying to walk through the crowd and say "excuse me" to get past them, and they'd either totally ignore you, or look at you like you're an asshole for existing. People were overly loud and obnoxious, were completely rude to my wife when she would try to get to the bar to get a drink for herself no matter how smiley and polite she tried to be in return, and the cops were summoned (not by me) at least twice before 10 p.m. because two drunken fights had broken out already, apparently over people taking over other people's chairs and tables when they'd gone to get a drink or use the washroom!

The point I'm getting at with this whole story is......even at some of the biggest metal shows I've attended, I've not had to deal with that much obnoxious and rude behavior like that. Metalheads and metal gigs have this reputation for being rowdy and unruly and drunken/drugged moronic behaviour......and while it's certainly true that you might encounter some of that at some metal shows, I think it's over-exaggerated and highly ironic considering that these so called "normal" folks at shows like the NYE ones are the ones who usually place that tag on metalheads, yet they themselves are the rude idiots.
After the night was over my wife said to me, "Jesus Christ, what a bunch of fucking assholes!! I'm so glad I'm metal because my metal friends and metal shows are way cooler and more tolerable than this bullshit." She had a very valid point.

Zod, sounds like Wacken is a bit crazy!!! I think Graspop was perhaps a much smoother and more tolerable affair than Wacken is, going by your description. It's not to say that it doesn't get crazy crowded in the tents when bands start playing, but at no time did I really feel like I was trapped or in the middle of a bum rush. People on the whole were generally polite and it was easy enough for me to navigate my way in and out of the crowds. Sometimes it was a drag when you'd have two bands on different stages performing simultaneously that you wanted to see, or it might be a bit of a hurry if one was starting immediately after another on a different stage, but it never seemed to be much of a problem. The four stages at Graspop are all within a reasonable walking distance from one another, but at the same time they're separated enough that you don't run any risk of getting caught in the trample of some crazy cross-traffic, there's enough space for everyone. Again I don't have alot of personal experience with Euro fests to compare it against, but honestly I'd say Graspop was just about as perfect of a metal festival as I could've hoped for :)

Metalheads and metal gigs have this reputation for being rowdy and unruly and drunken/drugged moronic behaviour......and while it's certainly true that you might encounter some of that at some metal shows, I think it's over-exaggerated and highly ironic considering that these so called "normal" folks at shows like the NYE ones are the ones who usually place that tag on metalheads, yet they themselves are the rude idiots.
Couldn't agree more. When you consider the aggression that underlies the music, the fairly violent act of moshing, and all the liquor, I'm amazed at how few fights you see at Metal shows. Honestly, I can't even recall the last time I saw a fight at a Metal show.

Zod, sounds like Wacken is a bit crazy!!! I think Graspop was perhaps a much smoother and more tolerable affair than Wacken is, going by your description.
It was pretty nuts. We were very fortunate. For both Wacken and Sweden Rock, we had VIP access. So we could at least escape the crowds. Quite frankly, I'm sure we could have tolerated three days at those festivals, without that access.

I've seriously considered Graspop. And your description, along with the line-up, make it sound enticing. But after doing Wacken & SWR in back to back years, and being 40, I just don't think I have the patience for the big crowds any more. The only reason we're considering Metal Camp, is because you can completely escape the festival and chill at the Tomlin River, without leaving the grounds. Plus, I hear Slovenia is awesome, and it's only two hours from the border of Italy.

The other festival I'd love to do is Hellfest in France. I'm dying to see France, bit it conflicts with school.

Zod