Graspop 2009

I've always been of the opinion that 99.9999% of people into metal are broad-minded, good humoured, friendly people and society would be a better place if everyone else took a leaf from our book. In 25 years of going to metal gigs and festivals, I've NEVER seen a fight break out or had any kind of trouble. Actually, I did have some drug-dealer try and steal my wallet outside an Opeth gig in London (Tip: Don't try and mug a guy who does judo twice a week), but he wasn't a metal fan, just some skanky opportunist who thought he could take advantage.

I've heard nothing but good things about the European festivals and they're definitely on the to do list.

I have been going to metal shows since the mid to late 80s, and have seen MANY fights. Not so much in recent years. Though the Aragon Ballroom is tagged as the Aragon Brawlroom for a reason!

I think a lot of the younger guys and gals have never truly experienced a violent metal / punk / hardcore gig.

There were a lot of boneheads who used to go to any punk or metal show to cause trouble in the pit. Those days are long gone though.

I think fights and "boneheads", as you said, do still exist at metal shows, certainly. But I think the point is that overall the vibe at a metal show is a bit more cordial and about people kinda keeping to themselves and their friends and not being so outwardly obnoxious and rude to everyone else there. At the NYE show I mentioned, it just seemed like everyone was rude. And I get that vibe on the rare occasions I've been to a dance type club, again with the so-called "normal" folks there. Especially if you get the guys/gals who are either more of the jock persuasion, or that hip-hop culture type. They seem to be quick with an attitude and rudeness. And they all have a very show-off attitude too, I've noticed. As you might guess, when I have to do those gigs, I don't get too many people trying to be sociable with me, LOL. They look at me and usually laugh. But, I couldn't give two shits about them, and I go home at the end of the night with a couple hundred bucks of their cash in my hand, so I'm fine with it ;-)

as far as Graspop ... I recall Vito and I having a pile of fries and mayo with Russ from Forbidden ... and I remember beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer, after beer.... we were, after all, in Belgium!

and no hangover, amazing!

Kinda as a side note, discussing going to shows and stuff..... On NYE I played with my cover band at the Radisson in Indiana, for a huge crowd of about 800 people. (For those who don't know, this is pretty much how I earn my dough, because frankly, death metal don't pay LOL). Anyhow, due to the nature of the event, the crowd was mostly what you would call "normal" people, aged between 21 and early 30's mostly, the kind you'd probably see at a club downtown where dance music and expensive martini drinks are the norm.
The vast amount of rude, insensitive people in that crowd was just staggering. Obviously being NYE, the majority of them were drunk, which is fine, but I was still somewhat amazed at how rude and uncivilised many of them behaved. You'd be trying to walk through the crowd and say "excuse me" to get past them, and they'd either totally ignore you, or look at you like you're an asshole for existing. People were overly loud and obnoxious, were completely rude to my wife when she would try to get to the bar to get a drink for herself no matter how smiley and polite she tried to be in return, and the cops were summoned (not by me) at least twice before 10 p.m. because two drunken fights had broken out already, apparently over people taking over other people's chairs and tables when they'd gone to get a drink or use the washroom!

The point I'm getting at with this whole story is......even at some of the biggest metal shows I've attended, I've not had to deal with that much obnoxious and rude behavior like that. Metalheads and metal gigs have this reputation for being rowdy and unruly and drunken/drugged moronic behaviour......and while it's certainly true that you might encounter some of that at some metal shows, I think it's over-exaggerated and highly ironic considering that these so called "normal" folks at shows like the NYE ones are the ones who usually place that tag on metalheads, yet they themselves are the rude idiots.
After the night was over my wife said to me, "Jesus Christ, what a bunch of fucking assholes!! I'm so glad I'm metal because my metal friends and metal shows are way cooler and more tolerable than this bullshit." She had a very valid point.

+2

The worst experiences I have ever had (and they've been numerous) have been at non-metal shows. "Normal" folk are not at all like they're cracked up to be.

NvmbrsDoom5: You have just resumed some bad moments I lived in those metal concerts. You are totally right about those drunk fans. I am proud that I never been involved in any big fight. I dont like big crowds either. Some people are there for the music and some others to fight, I hate those people. I always keep an eye open to protect those young ladies, they seem to be so fragile, I dont want them to be injured.

only gig ive been too with a vicious crowd was placebo lol man those kids were angsty

seen acts gorgoroth, akercocke, emperor, decapitated etc etc and sure there was a mosh pit (i dont get involved in them, basically for morons) but it seems more of a right of passage than an act of violence. theres a set of unwritten rules in a metalhead crowd and i dont think anyones out to hurt one another. yet at the placebo gig, no one had that understanding really and started jumpin around and hitting people while the other person didnt understand what was happening, thus creating an actual fight.

agreeing with larry as a whole.