Great songs ruined

In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth
When the land was swamp and caves were home
In an age when prized possession was fire
To search for landscapes men would roam

Oh yeah... we're talking about GOOD songs ruined.
I swear, Bruce with his classical education must have felt like a complete GOOSE singing that. I remember reading an interview with him when he said he changed the lyrics of "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" (classic title, that) because Harris had originally written "egg myself on" and Bruce thought that was too silly to sing, so he changed it to "push".

Futureal, The Clansman, Como, When Two Worlds Collide... in fact, all of them except Angel & the Gambler and Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger are great!

Originally posted by Goreripper

One of them would be called "Virtual XI"

I agree. Futureal and The Clansman are the only decent ones in my opinion. With better production they could've been great. And as I've said before, Angel & The Gambler could be a good short song but 9 minutes of repeating the chorus, no thanks.

"Don't Look..." is my favourite track on VXI, probably because I was reading lots of serial killer books at the time it came out, and that song seemed to fit my state of mind.

I was always quite fond of "The Educated Fool" too. It describes most of the pretentious idiots I got saddled with in uni tutorials :lol:.

W

"Don't Look..." is cool, until Blaze starts saying "Don't look to, don't look to, don't look to the eyes of a stranger" for about 10 minutes in the middle of the song. And THEN there's the very naff "Don't look to the eyes of a stranger" at the end of the song which sounds completely out of time with the music. Poor Blaze, no wonder he got such a raw deal from Maiden fans.. and it's all Steve's fault! :mad:

Damn right it is :mad: When will someone drag 'Arry into a dark alley, give him a good kicking and explain in a loud, strident voice that he is NOT, nor will he EVER be a producer? He can write the songs (lyrics notwithstanding) and play a damn fine bassline to go with them, but that's it. All the Blaze-era albums needed was a little objectivity from an outside source, then we'd all be talking about them with the same reverence as Powerslave or NOTB.

W