great tips about tracking/mixing from an upcoming star

btw, I noticed that your production sounds very "Swedish", when all the CLA mixed stuff sounds very American to me. It's got these really poppy uptempo happy major key stuff (even on the songs that are in the minor key) in the showreel on all the clips I heard, that sounds very homosexual in the good melodic way. This is more of a compliment, because I think swedes have made some of the best pop stuff of all time.

btw, I noticed that your production sounds very "Swedish", when all the CLA mixed stuff sounds very American to me. It's got these really poppy uptempo happy major key stuff (even on the songs that are in the minor key) in the showreel on all the clips I heard, that sounds very homosexual in the good melodic way. This is more of a compliment, because I think swedes have made some of the best pop stuff of all time.

I'll take that as a compliment because I'm a big fan of Swedish productions. I really like Max Martin, RedOne some other Swedish producers / songwriters.

I really like what you're doing to the vocals (details would be awesome - they sound really pro!), but all of the mixes suffer from overcompression imo. The drums are small and kinda painful in songs, even piano bits are really harsh. It takes it over the top from a pro sound to a sound that's quite unpleasant (to my ears) to listen to. :/ I think backing off on the compression would make these mixes sound miles better.

that sounds very homosexual in the good melodic way

lolWHAT?

I'll take that as a compliment because I'm a big fan of Swedish productions. I really like Max Martin, RedOne some other Swedish producers / songwriters.

OMG MAX MARTIN!!!

Max is my favorite and followed by RedOne :)

Edit: Sorry I just get excited when people on here talk about producers who dont produce metal.

Awesome sounding stuff right there! And how cool of you to stop by too! :popcorn:

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Some nifty production work no doubt, but the mixing lacks depth and punch. Still a ways to go before this challenges CLA.

I really like what you're doing to the vocals (details would be awesome - they sound really pro!), but all of the mixes suffer from overcompression imo. The drums are small and kinda painful in songs, even piano bits are really harsh. It takes it over the top from a pro sound to a sound that's quite unpleasant (to my ears) to listen to. :/ I think backing off on the compression would make these mixes sound miles better.

good grief

Really nice work, "punk rock was all a lie" in particular.

Thanks man! That track was a bit of a challenge because there was a sh|"$tload of tracks. The band wanted everything upfront... Not possible when you have tons of instruments fighting against each others!

Awesome sounding stuff right there! And how cool of you to stop by too! :popcorn: :D

Thanks man!

I hear you and I totally agree... Please keep in mind though that 90% of what you hear on my website was done using the MOTU 828/896 and there are also MP3 streamed through a flash player. Since a couple of months, I decided to back off a lot on the loudness war. There's a volume knob on every listening device and it's there for a reason! I'm gonna update my discography really soon with all my recent work. Thanks for listening man!

The ones that really stood out to me were those DelsonDrive songs, ESPECIALLY that first song! And I know I've heard that third song from them, but I cant remember where. What's the name of it?
Simply amazing.

Would love to hear your take on some harder rock stuff (stuff in vain of Shinedown or stuff like that) if you've got any.
Also enjoyed "Hypertonic" by the New Cities

Awesome mixes man ! :D Like Morgan said I really like the vocals in all your mixes, I'd like to know more about how you process them. The way your drums sound reminds me of CLA too especially those big snares.

Tu te chercherais pas un assistant par hasard ? :wave: Et par le fait même, je serais curieux de savoir comment tu t'es rendu au stade que tu es présentement, genre de pouvoir vivre de ton studio en ayant toujours des clients qui veulent enregistrer à ton studio. Est-ce que tu as travaillé dans d'autres studios ou tu as toujours été à ton propre compte? Merci ! :)

btw, am I the only one who this bothered?

Repeat after me: ambience. or is that like some french-canadian variant?

It's one of those words that can be spelled a couple ways, although ambience is more popular.

am·bi·ance also am·bi·ence (mb-ns, ä-byäs)
n.
The special atmosphere or mood created by a particular environment: "The noir ambience is dominated by low-key lighting . . . and deep shadows, creating feelings of disorientation, loneliness and entrapment" (UCLA Film/TV Archive).

One of my favorite people out there. Good to see you Luc. :)

Hey man! I remember you from GearSlutz! How have you been doing buddy'? :wave:

The ones that really stood out to me were those DelsonDrive songs, ESPECIALLY that first song! And I know I've heard that third song from them, but I cant remember where. What's the name of it?
Simply amazing. Would love to hear your take on some harder rock stuff (stuff in vain of Shinedown or stuff like that) if you've got any.
Also enjoyed "Hypertonic" by the New Cities

Thanks! DelsonDrive was my band. I've been playing in this band for 5 years. I was the drummer and back vocal singer. I produced, recorded, mixed and mastered the songs you hear on our MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/delsondrive. This was the last time I've been in a band. I'm missing it A LOT... We had the opportunity to play at the Vans Warped Tour and the Taste Of Chaos. We shared the stage with 30 Seconds To Mars, Saosin and The Used which were my favourite bands during that time. Best moments ever..

Delson Drive is/was Lucs own band. He mixed some very talened melodic-Hc guys called PUNCHOUT! .
Sounds realy amazing!!!

Thanks! I did produced the band PunchOut! a couple of years ago. http://www.myspace.com/punchouthc. People were comparing them a lot to the band Comeback Kid.

Sorry, is this not the forum about engineering tips and giving people constructive criticism?

Yes it is! Freedom of speech! :popcorn:

Awesome mixes man ! :D Like Morgan said I really like the vocals in all your mixes, I'd like to know more about how you process them. The way your drums sound reminds me of CLA too especially those big snares.

Tu te chercherais pas un assistant par hasard ? :wave: Et par le fait même, je serais curieux de savoir comment tu t'es rendu au stade que tu es présentement, genre de pouvoir vivre de ton studio en ayant toujours des clients qui veulent enregistrer à ton studio. Est-ce que tu as travaillé dans d'autres studios ou tu as toujours été à ton propre compte? Merci ! :)

Thanks man! Snares processing? It really depends on the song. If you name a particular song I could explain a little bit more.

Regarding your question in french, I started to record my own songs when I was 15 years old (I'm 29 now) using DDClip, a multimedia microphone and a Disney sound card. Later, I started recording the demos of the bands I was playing in and some of the other local bands hired me to record their demos. I spent hours on the Web learning the theory and basics (mic'ing techniques, compression, EQs, etc). I was working as a project manager and network administrator during the day, practicing with the band during the evening and then I would experiment recording and mixing until 2 or 3AM in the morning. I was doing it everyday and playing shows with my band during the weekends. One thing led to another and I found myself having enough contracts to quit my day job to produce and mix bands for a living. Internet helped a lot to spread the word about the bands I've worked with and I started to receive mixing offers from Sweden, Italy, France, Spain, London, etc. I've been doing this professionally for the past 3 years and I'm so grateful of doing this for a living knowing that the music business is not going so well these days. I consider myself very lucky!

Regarding your question in french, I started to record my own songs when I was 15 years old (I'm 29 now) using DDClip, a multimedia microphone and a Disney sound card. Later, I started recording the demos of the bands I was playing in and some of the other local bands hired me to record their demos. I spent hours on the Web learning the theory and basics (mic'ing techniques, compression, EQs, etc). I was working as a project manager and network administrator during the day, practicing with the band during the evening and then I would experiment recording and mixing until 2 or 3AM in the morning. I was doing it everyday and playing shows with my band during the weekends. One thing led to another and I found myself having enough contracts to quit my day job to produce and mix bands for a living. Internet helped a lot to spread the word about the bands I've worked with and I started to receive mixing offers from Sweden, Italy, France, Spain, London, etc. I've been doing this professionally for the past 3 years and I'm so grateful of doing this for a living knowing that the music business is not going so well these days. I consider myself very lucky!

Thanks for your answer! It seems that you're proof talent and hard-work is rewarding!