mixing multiple songs...

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
Do you guys mix 1 song and then make a template with all the plugs and track volume and stuff then import all the audio tracks from other songs to that session so they sound the same?

I know some songs may have more thing going on but the guitars and drums and bass and vox are usually similar at least the main parts... Also do you guys just like throw a compressor on the 2 buss and then finish mix and master in different session??

I'm a little worried cause i got some bands wanting to do full length albums and i really want to work efficiently and get all the songs to be similar in sound and volume on all instruments....

that's the usual format, unless of course some tracks have something totally different going on, be it tonally or instrumentally

as far as 2-buss stuff goes...i like to do a rough mix with nothing on there, but if i know that i'm going to end up mastering the tracks, 90% of the time i'll throw the SSL buss comp. on there to finish up the mix - usually with anywhere from 3-6db gain reduction

i'll also occasionally turn the SSL plug off, just to reference what the mix would sound like without it - sometimes it sounds better, sometimes not

For me the most efficient way of doing this is by starting with one song and mixing it while the band is there. After we both like it, I will usually work from that template. As far as getting things the same volume...that to me is basic mixing. For me, it's easiest to start with the kick. Bring your kick up until it's about -6db on your meter. Bring your snare until it's a little bit louder than the kick. Bring the toms/HH/ride up until they're a little bit under the snare. Then bring up your OH mics until they're a little louder than your HH. Bring up your bass guitar until it's as loud as your kick and rhythm guitars until they'e about as loud as the bass guitar. Bring up your vox until they are a little bit louder than your guitars. Do all of this by ear, only look at the faders for the kick which will usually ensure that you're master isn't clipping if your start at around -6db but sometimes you will have to make some small adjustments to the master.

If I'm mastering it myself, I will have a SSL Comp and a Gclip on my master so that I can hear what it's going to sound like at around -9dbs. When I make the mixdown, I'll take the Gclip off and export everything to Wavelab to master it. This way I'll have a clean copy of the song if I can convice the band to let someone else master it, but hey a lot of bands are broke. The only thing I find myself doing when mastering my own mixes is usually track eq in Harbal and then throwing Gclip on it to make it louder so this method works for me.