Mixing Proces? [Full Lenght, EP]

Mendel

Lag Arkane
Jun 11, 2005
The Netherlands
www.mendelb.com
I was wondering how you guys mix a full record and keep the mix as a whole.
How do you guys mix all songs?

Do you start with track 1, save all the presets import it into the next and so on?

Or do you start every track from scratch? if so how do you ensure all songs have the same sound basic mix/sound (which is common in the metal genre if im correct).

What is the most common way?

Really curious how you guys do this!

+1 for this. I don't know if I am completely wrong, but I get the impression some like to do a super-huge daw project with all songs in them.

I myself am usually mixing in different projects, but starting from the same template (until now, all my clients wanted uniform sound, so that's why). I guess it's the same for the guys that do AE for a living, mostly because of deadlines, that are inevitable if you are doing it on that level.
If a project calls for it, starting every new song from scratch is not that uncommon.

I was chatting with Mark Lewis a few months ago and he told me he didn't do everything in 1 project (to many tracks and stuff) but did them in seperate sessions files.
But still wonder what is most common logical to day? Because doing ever song from scratch would be not logical because you already have a basic mix right?

I have no idea what (if there is) the common way is the mix a record.
Could be a personal thing i guess, depending on likes or results.

I pick a song i like and mix that first. Then when its mixed and everyone is happy, i save a template of it. I use this template on all the other songs and then just mix in the extra tracks and tweak things for each song if needed.

Trying to record/edit and mix a album in one sessions is just a nightmare. Not worth the hassle.

^Yep. IME mostly because of unconsolidated tracks that have many 'edit points' (which are a rather huge resource hog when there are many), and not so much because of plugins themselves.

I pick a song i like and mix that first. Then when its mixed and everyone is happy, i save a template of it. I use this template on all the other songs and then just mix in the extra tracks and tweak things for each song if needed.

Trying to record/edit and mix a album in one sessions is just a nightmare. Not worth the hassle.

+1 to this.

exactly what I do tooooooo

Exactly this.