mixing an album vs single songs

ang3

Aug 22, 2010
bc canada
when mixing an album, do you mix one track and use it as a level reference for the other tracks so all the songs sound balanced thru out the cd? like all kicks will be -10db, snares -8, gtr- 12db etc... is this common practice?

I've just finished up mixing an album, and for the first time my computer has been powerful enough to mix the entire album in a single project, I think it works quite well. Very easy to compare things, one change changes the entire album, and you can make minor changes with automation between songs if need be.

Funnily enough I set levels for instruments using my ears ;) Using an arbitrary reference level doesn't really work as every song is different. So if the guitars are doing something different from one song to another then you'll most likely have to adjust the level of the bass and drums to compensate for these changes.

When mixing an album or EP I have all the songs in one session and get a basic mix together for one song. So the vast majority of eq and compression is done. Then I'll split it up into seperate projects for each song so I can change whatever's needed for each song.

Sonar 8.5 allows you to make track templates, so yeah, if its a metal album then you know all the kicks, snare and (main distorted) guitars are going to get similar treatment. Once I mix the first song, I just use that to create a mix template and then import that template into the next song. BUT, that doesn't mean I'm done, each song takes its own tweeks, like automation, different EQ sometimes compression and many other factors, especially when going from clean to distorted sounds. It's faster, and the whole album is more linear in sound, which is what everyone is used to hearing when they put on their favorite metal albums. One Mix to Rule them all, One mix to bring them all into the darkness and bind them!!! HAHA sorry just got my LOTR on blu ray extended versions.

And everytime two songs on an album has a fluent passage, i know that they are mixed in only one session? Is there now other way to achieve that?