tracking vs mixing

take all the advice here, but dont be afraid to track things and commit if thats exactly how you want them. obviously if you aren't very experienced it may be better to have someone help, but if you want some crazy distortion on something, and you have the means to achieve it how you want, do it with the band there and give it like that to the mixing engineer.

If you are really concentrating on tracking, it should be more than feasable to get decent drum/guitar/bass/vocal sounds without comprimising the mix. the most important thing for tracking is really knowing what is good enough and what isn't - if you never commit to anything and try anything, you won't learn how to improve. That said, it is worth taking DI's, trigger signals etc (usually NO reason not to).

Thank you Ed. As you and everybody else said/agree here there is no reason not to be responsible and provide DI tracks.
However thinking about what you said, i have been reading/researching for so long its also time i experiment, take a few risks and try to learn for my own benefit (well pleasure actually!) I think its time i try to apply a lot of things i have read mostly on this forum and elsewhere as long as i have my ass covered with some clean DIs.

Thanks!