tracking vs mixing

rispsira

Mar 18, 2010
OK. Simply what i want is to take care of tracking and have someone mix my product. I am having difficulty drawing the line between the two as i find there are different ways to skin a cat and mostly its an art more than just science.

I would like to know what i should really be responsible for to avoid making the mixing a nightmare for the one who will. Id like to do my part. So here are a few questions:

Tape saturation:
- Should i use it for tracking or leave it for the mixing (or even mastering) stage?
If i should take care of it:
- Should i buy a vst or outboard like the fatso
- Most importantly if it does make things sound bigger that means that i cant track everything with it or else if everything is "big" then i guess there wont be a contrast anymore and then nothing is big either am i right saying this? So how would u approach it? I have heard of its effectiveness on guitars but not sure what else?

Compression:
- Should i buy one (ie distressor) and track with it or leave it for mixing as well

If someone could clarify how you guys like to work?

You don´t need compressor nor tape saturator. You only need an interface with a decent preamp and a good mic.
Track the instuments DIs and the vocals without any weird noise or clipping and leave the rest to the mixing guy (compression, eq, saturation, reamps, etc).

+1 on clean recording... in my experience if you have the correct gain staging and level matching, the mixing engineer can apply all of the fancy-shmancy tube-this / tape-that.

Tape saturation:
If i should take care of it:
- Should i buy a vst or outboard like the fatso

Don't apply any kind of digital effect to the recording, the mix guy can do this himself, and won't thank you for painting him into a corner.

You don´t need compressor nor tape saturator. You only need an interface with a decent preamp and a good mic.
Track the instuments DIs and the vocals without any weird noise or clipping and leave the rest to the mixing guy (compression, eq, saturation, reamps, etc).

NONONONONONONONO

Running DI's through and amp is TRACKING! NOT MIXING!

It's nice to have DI's incase the tracked sound isn't working in the mix. But you should actually bother your ass to track through an amp in the first place.

Back on topic. I remember there was a good checklist here somewhere for sending something to a mix engineer. Fucked if I can remember where it is though. Here's some of the stuff that I remember from it though:

Make sure everything is tracked well, not recorded too hot or too cold, not clipped, not smashed to shit with compression on the way in. Some gentle compression is ok on bass and vocals on the way in. As is tape saturation if you're tracking to tape.

Make sure all tracks are consolidated and properly labelled. Each song should have it's own folder.

The mix engineer will most likely want a tempo map. This can be a midi file or it can be written in a text file.

Guitar and bass DI's are good to have as backups but really there should be an amped sound already there unless you're paying for reamping aswell as mixing.

All editing and tuning should be done beforehand unless you're paying for the engineer to edit aswell as mix. A copy of un-tuned vocals is good as a backup too.

MIDI files for synth parts etc are good to have as a backup, though you should have printed the sound you want to an audio track aswell.

A rough mix is nice so that the engineer has an idea of the direction you want the mix to take.

Just contact the mix engineer first about reamping or not - I'd much rather reamp myself than be stuck with a shitty tone, regardless of whether or not reamping is considered the mixers job or not. If the mixer can't reamp, chances are quite good that he already has someone/a few people to do reamps for him that he knows will sound good, and he can give you recommendations or contract them for you.

Thanks for all the advice!!

Ok so if i understand correctly better not to apply any of these unless its slight compression on vox. Ill keep that in mind. But in that case i might probably not even do that ill just insert a plug in for the singer's monitoring purposes only.

We have a soundproofed and fully treated rehearsal room as well as some good mics. We still need some quality mic pres and i was thinking of going with the avedis Ma5. not sure how it will sound on vocals though..

Though i would like to have my tone on the album, i will make sure to keep a DI tracks and midi keyboard notes in case we have no choice but change one of these.

I also will experiment with different heads. maybe send additionnal tracks to the AE (which is gonna be one of you by the way) IF he wants to.

One last question: what about effects. I have some good gear but i heard that its always better not to print effects.. like delays for my leads.
Im just wondering if the quality of plug ins will be up there next to the outboard stuff?

What should i do? should i record a simultanous wet track (but both cabs will be in the same room the dry and wet dono if that is a problem..) or leave it entirely to mixing?

Back on topic. I remember there was a good checklist here somewhere for sending something to a mix engineer. Fucked if I can remember where it is though. Here's some of the stuff that I remember from it though:

Make sure everything is tracked well, not recorded too hot or too cold, not clipped, not smashed to shit with compression on the way in. Some gentle compression is ok on bass and vocals on the way in. As is tape saturation if you're tracking to tape.

Make sure all tracks are consolidated and properly labelled. Each song should have it's own folder.

The mix engineer will most likely want a tempo map. This can be a midi file or it can be written in a text file.

Guitar and bass DI's are good to have as backups but really there should be an amped sound already there unless you're paying for reamping aswell as mixing.

All editing and tuning should be done beforehand unless you're paying for the engineer to edit aswell as mix. A copy of un-tuned vocals is good as a backup too.

MIDI files for synth parts etc are good to have as a backup, though you should have printed the sound you want to an audio track aswell.

A rough mix is nice so that the engineer has an idea of the direction you want the mix to take.

I will save that post in order to keep these things in mind. thanks a bunch!

Thanks for all the advice!!

Ok so if i understand correctly better not to apply any of these unless its slight compression on vox. Ill keep that in mind. But in that case i might probably not even do that ill just insert a plug in for the singer's monitoring purposes only.

1 We have a soundproofed and fully treated rehearsal room as well as some good mics. We still need some quality mic pres and i was thinking of going with the avedis Ma5. not sure how it will sound on vocals though..

2 Though i would like to have my tone on the album, i will make sure to keep a DI tracks and midi keyboard notes in case we have no choice but change one of these.

3 I also will experiment with different heads. maybe send additionnal tracks to the AE (which is gonna be one of you by the way) IF he wants to.

4 One last question: what about effects. I have some good gear but i heard that its always better not to print effects.. like delays for my leads.
Im just wondering if the quality of plug ins will be up there next to the outboard stuff?

5 What should i do? should i record a simultanous wet track (but both cabs will be in the same room the dry and wet dono if that is a problem..) or leave it entirely to mixing?

1. What interface/pres do you you have already? You'd be best off going with a bunch of transparent pres and then 1-2 nicer pres for important things like OH, DI's, vocals, etc...

2. At this point in audio engineering, not tracking a DI or midi is just irresponsible, IMO. The DI's and Midi will really help when editing a track, too - not just for reamping/replacement!

3. If you can get a solid tone on your own, this is a good idea.

4. Monitor with whatever, but always record a dry signal. The plugins the mixer has are/should be better than your pedals/rack units, and even if they're not, the fact that he'll be able to tweak them in the mix will make up for it.

5. Leave it up to the mixer, but feel free to bounce a mix with the effected tracks so the mixer knows what kind of effects you want on certain parts.

Jeff i really really appreciate you taking the time to answer my post point by point, i cant thank you enough.

1- so far we only have two focusrite saffire pro 10i/o (for clean pres). We are planning on buying two good 500 series pre, and the ones i like so far by listening to demos were the ma5s (especially for the price) which is why i mentionned them, but there are plenty of good ones (if you have a recommandation please let me know) . We will also purchase some converters (possibly the aurora) and that will go to a lynx PCI express card. Other than that we have some event monitors and i will purchase a AX7 pair as well.

3- i was planning on tracking a passive pickups -> mark V -> traditionnal recto (stilleto) cabs and an active-> recto -> rectifier oversized cabs for the rythms. I also have a 5150 which i will experiment with. But s you said it is important to keep DI tracks and i will take your advice for sure.

4 and 5- makes sense, i will do that.

One last question i have is about drums. If you were to receive a project for mixing, would you care about accoustic drums. The reason i am asking is i am not sure wether it would be worth it tracking the accoustic especially since we dont have the best pres for that like some APIs that would cost us way too much if we need around 16 tracks.. I dont see a way we could compete with samples recorded at a professionnal studio with expensive gear..
Should i still do that maybe so that the person mixing might be interested in having them to perhaps merge it with samples instead of replacing completely?
The other way is we can track midi with our drummers electronic drums as well (dm5). The reason i am asking is if we were to replace all the drums do we still have a chance of having "our own sound"? this is a concept i am new to and i honstly dont even know if its legal to release an lbum with samples of drums that arent ours? im sorry if thats a really noob question i just dont know how it goes as i am still new to all of this..

Thanks again :headbang:

Oh one more thinsg since you asked about clean pres. I am planning on purchasing an RME babyface when its out for my home studio (im buidling this so i can write music at home when its really late and dont feel like driving to the rehearsal space haha) so maybe we can use it instead of the focusrite for the clean pres.

Just to make sure i understand though you mentionned them just for DI tracks right? which means we should track all the rest except for the drums with the avedis.. Or should we avoid having that much colouration for all the instruments? (mainly im thinking guitars vox and bass amp)

One last bass question:
i noticed that most people around here record bass only with DI, does that mean it is better than tracking a bass amp as well? or is it just because of practicallity that people do it?
Aslo our bassist has a 4X10 cab and a 1X15. I heard from people that we shouldnt track the 15" speaker as it is not very uisable for our style (prog metal) do you agree with that?

Sorry about all the questions..

Jeff i really really appreciate you taking the time to answer my post point by point, i cant thank you enough.

1- so far we only have two focusrite saffire pro 10i/o (for clean pres). We are planning on buying two good 500 series pre, and the ones i like so far by listening to demos were the ma5s (especially for the price) which is why i mentionned them, but there are plenty of good ones (if you have a recommandation please let me know) . We will also purchase some converters (possibly the aurora) and that will go to a lynx PCI express card. Other than that we have some event monitors and i will purchase a AX7 pair as well.

3- i was planning on tracking a passive pickups -> mark V -> traditionnal recto (stilleto) cabs and an active-> recto -> rectifier oversized cabs for the rythms. I also have a 5150 which i will experiment with. But s you said it is important to keep DI tracks and i will take your advice for sure.

4 and 5- makes sense, i will do that.

One last question i have is about drums. If you were to receive a project for mixing, would you care about accoustic drums. The reason i am asking is i am not sure wether it would be worth it tracking the accoustic especially since we dont have the best pres for that like some APIs that would cost us way too much if we need around 16 tracks.. I dont see a way we could compete with samples recorded at a professionnal studio with expensive gear..
Should i still do that maybe so that the person mixing might be interested in having them to perhaps merge it with samples instead of replacing completely?
The other way is we can track midi with our drummers electronic drums as well (dm5). The reason i am asking is if we were to replace all the drums do we still have a chance of having "our own sound"? this is a concept i am new to and i honstly dont even know if its legal to release an lbum with samples of drums that arent ours? im sorry if thats a really noob question i just dont know how it goes as i am still new to all of this..

Thanks again :headbang:

No worries dude, maybe my kindness will influence your project in my direction for the mix! :lol:

1. The Saffire Pro pres are pretty solid as far as "general" pres, good enough to put on hats/ride/rooms/toms, kick/snare if those are going to be heavily sample augmented as well. The Avedis looks cool, but I would personally go with either a pair of API 512's or a 512 and a Great River - that way you either get a stereo set of API pres, or an API and a Neve, which would be awesome for variation. That's actually the setup I have with my SCA preamps at the moment, one API channel and one Neve channel.

2. Those gtr chains sound fine - I might recommend going with the Oversized cab over the Stilletto and just leaving the mics on the cab but changing heads, but that's a matter of taste/laziness/consistency.

As far as recording acoustic drums to be sample replaced/augment later or programming/playing through a midi kit, I REALLY prefer working with real drums when possible, and I believe the end result is usually better if the mic selection is good and the source isn't terrible. With as many pres as you have (20? maybe 22?), it makes no sense to not track acoustic drums, given that you have enough 57's or whatever for the kit and a decent pair of OH mics, as well as some mics for hat/ride and rooms.

It's not illegal to use samples on releases, though, given you've paid for them. Even with a sampler like Superior 2.0 or the SSD-Kontakt based kits, part of the price you pay is the right to use it in productions.

Oh one more thinsg since you asked about clean pres. I am planning on purchasing an RME babyface when its out for my home studio (im buidling this so i can write music at home when its really late and dont feel like driving to the rehearsal space haha) so maybe we can use it instead of the focusrite for the clean pres.

Just to make sure i understand though you mentionned them just for DI tracks right? which means we should track all the rest except for the drums with the avedis.. Or should we avoid having that much colouration for all the instruments? (mainly im thinking guitars vox and bass amp)

One last bass question:
i noticed that most people around here record bass only with DI, does that mean it is better than tracking a bass amp as well? or is it just because of practicallity that people do it?
Aslo our bassist has a 4X10 cab and a 1X15. I heard from people that we shouldnt track the 15" speaker as it is not very uisable for our style (prog metal) do you agree with that?

Sorry about all the questions..

You'd want to track guitar DI's with either the best pre's you have or the ones that are the least 'colored' - for instance, I'd take a Neve over a Mackie pre, but I'd take an API over a Neve pre, since the API has qualities that lend itself well to DI tracking (fast transient response, overall tight, clean sound). Bass, vocals, and mic'd guitar amps can benefit from some preamp coloration.

My bassist actually runs the same 4x10 + 1x15 combo, but for a very different style. From my experience micing up his stack, I'd agree that the 1x15 would be sort of useless in a prog metal scenario, at least for me. Some speaker movement can really help with bass, especially if he has a nice head, but it's not as necessary as with guitars. I'd track with mics thrown up on his amp, but definitely include the DI, just like with guitars.

Are mic pres completely necessary or just an extra thing that's good to have to make your tracking that much better? I have a profire 2626, and I know it has 'pres built in', but I've been looking to maybe get some pres.. But I'm really not sure if I NEED one.

take all the advice here, but dont be afraid to track things and commit if thats exactly how you want them. obviously if you aren't very experienced it may be better to have someone help, but if you want some crazy distortion on something, and you have the means to achieve it how you want, do it with the band there and give it like that to the mixing engineer.

If you are really concentrating on tracking, it should be more than feasable to get decent drum/guitar/bass/vocal sounds without comprimising the mix. the most important thing for tracking is really knowing what is good enough and what isn't - if you never commit to anything and try anything, you won't learn how to improve. That said, it is worth taking DI's, trigger signals etc (usually NO reason not to).

Are mic pres completely necessary or just an extra thing that's good to have to make your tracking that much better? I have a profire 2626, and I know it has 'pres built in', but I've been looking to maybe get some pres.. But I'm really not sure if I NEED one.

External pre's like an API or Neve etc will get you better results than the stock pre's on the Profire. But to be honest the Profire pre's are quiet and clean enough that they certainly wont get in the way of you making a great recording.

Jeff,

Sorry for the late reply man i got sick. By the way i just checked my PM's; a good while ago i had a thread asking people around here to pm me for mixing quotes just so i know what kind of budget we will need by the time were done with tracking. You mustve not read it so i was wondering if you would mind sending me a PM?

-To get back to the subject great advice here. You made me check out the great river and stumble on the 500 series i didnt know they have one and that makes it more affordable! so ill defenitelly consider it. On the other hand you have me convinced that the API might be a better choice for DI tracking so will keep that in mind as well.

-As to the cab choice, trust me man its not laziness that led me to say stilletto for the mark V. In fact i think that for most heads the oversized recto cab is wayyyyy better (ex recto, 5150 etc etc the list goes on) its just that for the mark series specifically which includes triaxis/2:90 and mark V's i just thought the stilletto is the ONLY cab they should be used with. i ABd them and it slayed the recto cab (for my taste of course) which is the exact same opposite of EVERY other situation i came across where the other heads sound much better with the recto. I dont know what it is with the mark.. sounds so much more "organic" with the stilleto
Of course i like to keep an open mind though, and i dont disregard advice from people with experience in recording, so im pretty sure i wont loose anything trying the recto cab with the mark head, miced.

- I will post a list of mics for drums and how were planning to use them later on to get your opinions. So ill listen to you and provide the accoustic drum tracks. Hopefully they will be good enough at least to be added to samples..

-thanks for clarifiying the samples issue/legal. I am planning on purchasing the SSD though that was just supposed to be for my own pleasure (im reffering to having some cool drum sounds to jam over for songwriting) but didnt think it wouldve been a problem even if i didnt have them, as long as they were legal to be used, because i thought it would be the mix engineer who would choose the samples from his library and work on them. So you are saying it should be a part of tracking and we should supply samples as well as the accoustic drums? of did i misundertand??

-Ok. So the 1X15 is probably not a good idea

Thank you Jeff!