mixing a full album

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
there's one thing i'm wondering about, regarding mixing a full album:

naturally, you want the songs to sound as similar as possible to each other, so the usual idea is to set up a mix template, and apply those settings to all the other songs.
my questions is, do you guys often find yourself change a few things here and there between songs? like, you used the template created on track 1, and applied it to track 2. now, let's say you feel the snare should come up a bit, or kick down, or bass up or whatever. would you do these adjustments, or slavishly stick to the template and only do creative stuff like automation, effects etc?

i guess sticking to the template will give the album a more even sounding feel, but then again, if you feel like track 3 or whatever would sound better with a more upfront snare, is there any reason not to adjust this?

I use template to have the same volumes like the songs are in the same project, but here and there I change little things. And if the snare in some parts has to be louder, there is automation

same template plus automation. Because the dynamics of each song is different. Not to mention layering is different. Like on my album right now got 1 song with very few keyboard layers and another with a bucket full of them and a 3rd song with serious number of guitar layers as well. So yes you got to roll with the punches and listen to all the mixes together at the end and see that they seem uniform more or less.