Greatest Hits Album

BigHef

New Metal Member
Jan 30, 2007
I own every album Testament puts out except the Live At Eindhoven and all the greatest hits or compilation albums. I just want to know what reason(s) people buys these greatest hits or compilation albums? I would buy them if there's like a rare unreleased tracks or something. If I'm missing something I would consider buying them.

thanks for your inputs.
bill

Well, the labels think they'll get some easy money from the die-hardest fans, who would by anything their band releases just because they decided to collect all of their albums plus some new to the band people will probably be attracted by a compilation of popular songs which would give them a good view of the bands career and achievements (honestly, I don't know many people, who buy compilation albums, but there must be some, if the labels keep releasing these). It's the easiest way to money for the record companies and it is sad they don't ask the bands for at least one extra song, a cover, a demo version, a B-side or whatever (like on "signs of chaos" from 1997).
This is obviously not the bands's policy- they're dissatisfied with this fact, as far as I'm concerned.
That being said, I own "Signs of chaos" (mostly because of the two covers included) and "Days of Darkness" and am still hesitating whether to buy or not "the best of", "the very best of" and the new one.. because I belong to the first group of people that I wrote about :) I know it's such a waste of money and it pisses me off a little bit :)

Here's a question thats come up here....Why so many Best of....albums?....and here's what Chuck had to say about it:

"BILLY: Yeah, that’s weak. When Spitfire got sold, the company that bought it decided they needed to put out a “best of Testament” album, and it’s all the same shit that we have on the two other “best of” albums, not to mention that album of songs we re-recorded. And these companies put them out without us letting us know or having any say into what goes into them or how they are packaged, but in the contract they have the right to do that, so what can you do? They just grab the songs and put ‘em out, which I think kinda sucks. "

I do have 2 of the best of cd's because i'm a die hard fan,Not to say that people who don't also aren't die hard fans! i would never say that.That being said the very best of testament 2001 was a complete waste of money except that it has track by track commentary by eric if i had had the internet then i probaly could have just looked that up..oh well,but sighns of chaos was totally worth it to me because of sails of charon,now after reading the interview with chucks take on it i wont bother buying another one

Here's a question thats come up here....Why so many Best of....albums?....and here's what Chuck had to say about it:

"BILLY: Yeah, that’s weak. When Spitfire got sold, the company that bought it decided they needed to put out a “best of Testament” album, and it’s all the same shit that we have on the two other “best of” albums, not to mention that album of songs we re-recorded. And these companies put them out without us letting us know or having any say into what goes into them or how they are packaged, but in the contract they have the right to do that, so what can you do? They just grab the songs and put ‘em out, which I think kinda sucks. "

You Walter? hey you must taped some shows from The Ritual Tour?

I have no problem with compilation albums and fans will only feel "ripped off" if they were somehow misled into thinking that it's new material that they don't already have. Casual fans on the other hand have an oppotunity to sample material from a band they lnow little about. And let's be honest, who amongst us has NOT bought a compilation album? I myself have many.

I feel ........Best of Albums are good for new fans that what to get into a particular band...And don't want to invest alot of money, before they sample different time periods of the best songs, so that they may pick up certain albums that they discover, because of the Best Of......If that makes any sense....IMO:loco:

Ya I guess that does make sence.I guess it's just hard for me to realize there are people out there that don't know Testament.Also it would be nice if the band had some input on the track list :)