Greatest ProgPower Live Album?

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
Planet Rock, the UK's classic rock station, recently posted the results of their listener's poll of the greatest live album....won by Thin Lizzy's "Live and Dangerous". See here for the top 40.

If you had to pick the greatest live album of what could be considered ProgPower's genre, what would it be?

1) Iced Earth - "Alive In Athens"
2) Blind Guardian - "Tokyo Tales"
3) Evergrey - "A Night To Remember"

If Iron Maiden were to count, then "Live After Death" would be #1...

Though are we saying ANY prog or power band, or a band who has played Prog Power?

I was thinking that it could be anybody that you think fits what is represented by ProgPower, not necessarily only those that have played ProgPowerUSA.

I have a hard time picking this, since I'm kind of late to the party regarding this genre. My knowledge of live albums is more in line of what was represented by the PlanetRock survey. That's why I'm hoping to hear more than just "Alive In Athens"...

My knowledge of live albums is more in line of what was represented by the PlanetRock survey.
I think that one reason there aren't a lot of newer live albums being as highly regarded is because DVDs have become a lot more common and important for bands to put out. In the last year, I can think of two or three live albums I purchased that weren't accompanying a DVD, and in some cases, chopped down versions of the DVD.

Aside from that, I just don't find a lot of newer live albums to be on the level of the classics like AIA and Tokyo Tales. Take Edguy for example - they're a great live band, but I don't find either "Burning Down The Opera" or "Fucking With Fire" to be classics. It takes a number of factors to put together a classic live album - good song selection, a good performance, a good crowd, and a mix that doesn't drown that crowd out.

evergrey_a_night_to_remember.jpg

Enough said.

This.

Though are we saying ANY prog or power band, or a band who has played Prog Power?

Either way, hard to top ALIVE IN ATHENS.

Ditto. They aren't necessarily my favorite band but you can't deny that's a badass live album, especially if you have the 3-disc one like I do.

Besides that, I would put in Dream Theater's Score though. That was a phenomenal live offering.

Besides that, I would put in Dream Theater's Score though. That was a phenomenal live offering.

Score is near the top of my list. Of course my favorite would have to be their Live at the Marquee from '93. Labrie sounded PERFECT that night. But if I were to sit down and make a list of my top 10 favorite "progpower-esque" live albums, they would all just end up being old-school Dream Theater bootlegs lol

It was soooo awesome to see them pick THIN LIZZY's "Live and Dangerous" as best live disc. It is one of the best collections of music ever and I am pretty sure that this would be my desert island disc (or perhaps a Tori Amos disc, hehe).

In my opinion, most power/progressive metal live albums suck. There's a very few of them that I really like, with Dream Theater's "Live At The Marquee" absolutely being my favorite.

c.

I agree with Claus here..well maybe not as far has the Dream Theater, James sucks bad on it.
There is really not "propowe" type bands putting out live albums that can top 'Live and Dangerous'
But if I did go with something it would be Evergrey that wasn't bad, I'm not a live album fan but I have spun that one more than most live albums. Also the live Jorn was pretty good. But watching it live kind of gave an idea of what the majority of Progpower seems to like as you watched people walking out during the Lizzy and Whitesnake tunes.

Gotta agree with mentions of Blind Guardian (DVD and CD), Kamelot, and Dream Theater's Score. All great releases as well. That Evergrey DVD just continues to stand as my favorite DVD.