Greatest ProgPower Live Album?

o rly? I have heard that they are one of the best live bands of all time???

The show I've seen certainly didn't even begin to touch a claim like that, and I've definitely heard other stories from people about them being a "meh" live band.

To me, best live bands out there include bands like Primal Fear, Saxon, Symphony X, Dream Theater (musically, not vocally), and Pagan's Mind.

The show I've seen certainly didn't even begin to touch a claim like that, and I've definitely heard other stories from people about them being a "meh" live band.

To me, best live bands out there include bands like Primal Fear, Saxon, Symphony X, Dream Theater (musically, not vocally), and Pagan's Mind.

awesome, i was actually able to catch pagans mind's set live via the interwebs when they were at jaxx last year? they were awesome!

If you had to pick the greatest live album of what could be considered ProgPower's genre, what would it be?

I'm not generally a big fan of live albums...most bands either (a) sound lousy on them (esp. the singer), or (b) they're so overdubbed that it's false advertising to call it "live." For some reason, however, I love live DVDs.

Having said that, I'd go with:

Rush - Critical Mass

It's actually a 2-CD bootleg, but was recorded direct from the soundboard, so it's phenomenal quality (better sound than "Exit...Stage Left," IMHO), and being a bootleg, you know there aren't any overdubs. Killer stuff, and includes probably my favorite Neil Peart drum solo (titled "Drum Solo in 3/4" on the bootleg). They have it at last.fm:

http://www.last.fm/music/Rush/1994-03-22:+Critical+Mass:+Auburn+Hills,+MI,+USA+(disc+1)
http://www.last.fm/music/Rush/1994-03-22:+Critical+Mass:+Auburn+Hills,+MI,+USA+(disc+2)
(Note: They incorrectly list the drum solo as "The Rhythm Method"...the CD's liner notes don't call it that, which is a much-shorter solo that's on the "Show of Hands" official live disc...the one on CM is almost 8 minutes vs 4:30 on ASoH).

For non-bootlegs, I'd probably go with Fates Warning's "Still Life," Enchant's "Live At Last" or maybe Dream Theater's "Score".

On the DVD front, I'll echo others' choices of DT's "Live at the Marquee" and Kamelot's "One Cold Winter's Night."

Unfortunately the one Kamelot show I've seen did even begin to approach the quality of that DVD. Hoping the PPXI show changes that for me.

Agreed. I was very disappointed when I saw them the last time I went to Chicago. It wasn't that they were bad, it was just compared to the DVD it wasn't that good. I probably was expecting too much, but I wouldn't be surprised if they pull out all the stops on the PPUSA XI set.

Don't know if they count, but

Children of Bodom - Tokyo Warhearts is awesome. Released way before they got popular in the States, and quite a bit before they sounded too modern for their own good. Remember these guys were a power metal band, just with harsh vocals. They pioneered that style which is basically commonplace and stale now. But this early live effort was back when they were simply amazing.

I also agree with Alive in Athens as probably the best. Just wanted to add another one in there.

Don't know if they count, but

Children of Bodom - Tokyo Warhearts is awesome. Released way before they got popular in the States, and quite a bit before they sounded too modern for their own good. Remember these guys were a power metal band, just with harsh vocals. They pioneered that style which is basically commonplace and stale now. But this early live effort was back when they were simply amazing.

Concur. And lest we forget, that "power metal band, just with harsh vocals" sound is why Glenn considered booking them for PPUSA II or III, waybackwhen.

awesome, i was actually able to catch pagans mind's set live via the interwebs when they were at jaxx last year? they were awesome!

Was the complete show broadcasted? Our soundguy said that someone from the house came and probably disconnected the whole thing halfway through the show...

Did anyone record it, btw?

Frode

I'd have to go with Dream Theater's "Score." It has the best selection of tunes as well as the best overall performance from the definitive band of the progressive metal genre. I happen to be a big fan of live albums, and I think that a lot of bands in the progressive and power metal field have delivered some great ones, but "Score" really sets the bar as far as I'm concerned.

As a response to Sccaldwell, "Live At The Marquee" was never released on DVD. Perhaps you have it confused with "Images And Words: Live In Tokyo."

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

A bit off topic but I'm surprised that Foghat Live didn't make the list...but you can't argue with the top 3, though I would have put UFO's Strangers in the Night as number 1 and Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East, Uriah Heep - Live and Ted Nugent in the top 10.

Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Rainbow - On Stage
Star One - Live on Earth
UDO - Live in Russia
Axel Rudi Pell - Knights Live
Dream Theater - Live Scenes From New York
Halford - Live Insurrection

The Biggest omission from the list in my opinion is Saxon's = The Eagle Has Landed. What a phenomenal album.

A couple of personal favorites that didn't make the list are Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Budapest Live and Supertramp - Paris.

Halford - Live Insurrection

This. Totally forgot about this, probably because I don't consider it prog or power but just METAL!!!! This is his crowning achievement in my opinion, at least vocally. Too bad he wasn't with Priest during this time period because they would have owned.