Green Carnation-The Quiet Offspring

The album is fantastic...the best I've heard so far this year. Light of Day, Day of Darkness is another favorite of mine from them and the other two disks are pretty good. Great band, overall.

Green Carnation kicks ass. Light of Day, Day of Darkness is actually a prog metal masterpiece. It's one song, sixty minutes long. It's all over the board, from folk to death metal.

The follow up, Blessing in Disguise, is also excellent, but for much different reasons. It's still progressive in application, but in a much more straight forward way.

Tchort (the one man band behind Green Carnation) is a very talented songwriter and I don't doubt that his new album is worth a good listen for those with an open mind. I checked out the song samples from the new album and it ranks right up there with Blessing in Disguise. It is on my wishlist.

If you like "Light of Day" you ABSOLUTELY MUST check out the album "OMNIO" from the now defunct Norwegian mega-band, In the Woods.

This monumental album was released in 1997 and, IMO, is probably the best progressive album of the last 20 years.

It's a mix of metal (of course), 70s era prog, psychadelia, hints of doom, David Bowie (in the vocals) and PURE EMOTION. Imagine a mix of early 70s King Crimson, Green Carnation, Pink Floyd and Opeth/My Dying Bride/Anathama and Deep Purple.

The production is very "70s", sounding warm, crisp and clear. I believe it's an analog recording.

Two of the bands members played on the first two GC albums. In fact, the opening vocals to "Light of Day" are sung by Jan-Kenneth of In the Woods.

The record in impossible to find in the states, but I believe it's still in print.

If you like Savatage, etc, you'd like this band.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000C8AR6/qid=1111066524/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-4529803-6171262?v=glance&s=music

Never heard of Omnio, Soundmaster. Sure sounds right up my alley though! I did some research but couldn't find any songs from Omnio (lots of rave reviews though!). I did find one mp3 from the album after that and it sounds an awful lot like Green Carnation!

I'll have to poke around and see if I can find this hidden gem by In The Woods.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Never heard of Omnio, Soundmaster. Sure sounds right up my alley though! I did some research but couldn't find any songs from Omnio (lots of rave reviews though!). I did find one mp3 from the album after that and it sounds an awful lot like Green Carnation!

I'll have to poke around and see if I can find this hidden gem by In The Woods.

Hey TSO,

One note: the follow-up, "Strange in Stereo" is exactly that: STRANGE!
It's very avant-garde and is quite different from Omnio. It's still good, but not
up to par, IMO.

They released a final album in 2000, named "3x7 on A Pilgramage" which was a collection of their 3 7" vinyl EPs, plus a few new tunes. This is MUCH closer
to Omnio.
It features two awesome covers:
King Crimsons - Epitaph
Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit

I heard about them about 6mos. ago but only could find the "Light of day..." cd and wanted to start off with something more "versitale" not just one long song. I searched but couldn't find a website...So thanks Sixxswine for the link!