Greetings. I'm new.

Zeppa

New Metal Member
Nov 16, 2002
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
Hello people. I'm new here :)

Eddies Cellmate mentioned this site before on the IM BB. I had been away for a little while and didn't have a chance to check it out until now.

Anyway. Just thought I'd introduce myself.

Welcome Zeppa! :)
The board has been a bit quiet lately... :(
What nick do you use on the IM board? I posted there a while back too...

I use MetalGuitarMan but I don't post there entirely too often. Mostly when I'm working nights and stuff.

The only Maiden songs I know right now are Aces High, Be Quick or Be Dead, and The Wicker Man. I know other riffs and stuff, but they are no good here unless it's a whole song.

I know some other stuff, and have some material I've written in past bands. I can learn pretty much anything though. Just takes a few listens and a bit of time.

I have a new pickup on the way for my Kramer Baretta. It's a Bill Lawrence L-500XL. I need a bit of a thicker tone than my old, worn out Dimarzio Super 2 is giving me.

The pickups in both my guitars are pretty hot, so they don't get the greatest clean sounds. I can always borrow my friends PRS for some of that stuff though. :cool:

Hey there Zeppa, and welcome! I listened to the guitar sound on your page, and what I think you need to do (although I'm no expert in this matter!) is to lower the gain when recording. The sound is quite "sharp", and I think it might stand out too much in a mix with other instruments. If you want some good tips on home recording etc, check out www.recklessaudio.com. They have a lot of good tips! Hopefully some of the other, more experienced, guys will give you some feedback on this matter as well, since I don't really have a clue what I'm talking about. ;)

Anyway, cheers and welcome!

/Thomas

Welcome Zeppa. :)

BTW...Would rolling back the volume knob to around 6 on your guitar help with the clean sounds at all?

The sound sample has a lot of high end. (I'm guessing you recorded it direct without a cabinet) A mic'ed cabinet would normally take care of that. When you record direct without the cabinet it helps to roll back the high end a little if you don't have some kind of cabinet sim running. :)

Hey Zeppa,

I actually had problems getting your sample to play..even when saving and playing locally. Looks like i am the only one. :(

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't know how to play any maiden song all the way through either..except maybe 2 or 3. I just sign up for one, and then learn it for recording purposes. :D

..so as long as you are a fast learner, its not a big problem. I'd venture that most of us don't know how to play the whole song when we first sign up.

I will learn some more stuff. How does it all sound when everything is all recorded? Pretty good?

How would I be able to hear it. Do we save the files anywhere on the net? Or are they on people computers?

I will see what has and has not been recorded, and go from there to see what I will start to work on.

Originally posted by rabies
which ones did you pick? Some are far better than others....the newer ones being generally better.

Yea Zeppa, there are some on there that are well...uh, lousy. ;) But those were our earlier ones, and they've gotten better over time. Our last several ones all turned out pretty well. :)

Also, naturally the full mp3 versions sound a bit better than the smaller .wma ones on the website.

Originally posted by Eddies cellmate
Yea Zeppa, there are some on there that are well...uh, lousy. ;) But those were our earlier ones, and they've gotten better over time. Our last several ones all turned out pretty well. :)

Also, naturally the full mp3 versions sound a bit better than the smaller .wma ones on the website.

Of all the ones I checked out Crazy Train probably had the best sound. I also checked out Aces High, Wasted Years, Powerslave, The Trooped, Killers, and Sign of the Cross.

I am lucky enough to have a 155 Mb/s connection here at work :)

Which are the highest quality? And what is different that made the quality so much better?

Crazy Train is a good example.

Check out:
Hallowed
Beast (if its up there)
Chemical Wedding
Long distance runner
Flight of Icarus
I've got the fire
7th Son
Women in Uniform

for examples of our better tracks. The difference in quality can mostly be attributed to more experience. We just got better working together, and getting more out of our gear in recording. Also, when it first started, everybody would submit one track for themselves. So a guitar player would have one track with his rhythms and his solos. This does not give the mixer a lot of room to work. Now we send multiple tracks as warrented for our parts. Solo's usually being their own track.

Aces High is an example of 'not one of our best'...same with the Trooper..but that was like..the 2nd song we did. The rest you mentioned are the middle of the pack...in my opinion.

Ok, I see then. So then I would want to be sure I am using the right eq settings and everything with my gear.?

So as for the seperate parts. would it just be seperate solo and rhythm parts? or would the actual riffs be recorded one at a time?