Greg and other guitar-aficionados needed

Astral Poetry

"Eros! Your hand...!"
Mar 21, 2003
"...it's missing!"
I'm looking to buy a new guitar around the holidays (as that's the time the cash flows like wine), but it's been so long since I've bought one that I'm completely lost. Right now I have a Kramer Baretta (a knock-off Jackson that knocks it off pretty well) which I've been struggling with on account of it's "floating tremolo" bridge; it detunes incredibly fast and now won't let me restring the high e string without snapping it (i've gone through 3 in like 10 minutes).

I've been looking around musician's friend, but everything is so foreign to me. The Gibson Faded (because it's cheaper) SG caugh my eye, but other than that, IT'S ALL TOO MUCH!

The only stuff I'm looking for is good, solid tonality, pretty close to the fretboard action, and something from $650 down.

yeah, floating tremolos are pretty much a huge pain in the ass.

I'm a big fan of Schecter guitars, especially for a mid-range instrument. The guitars they have in the $500-$600 range are excellent instruments for the price. the action on mine was probably a tiny bit higher than what you are looking for but I was also using pretty thick strings (13 - 56).

That Gibson Faded SG looks like a great guitar for the price!

check out this Schecter that is the same price and comes with some really hot pickups
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/513105/

and this one (this is what I had and LOVED it) that will be a more versatile instrument
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/513057/

If you do find something with a floating trem that you want remember you can always just block it up. I did that with my Jackson. Now it's not as good as just having a fixed bridge (if one string breaks you're still screwed) but you don't have to reset the whole damn thing if you want to play a different tuning.

But yeah, I've heard good things about Schecter as well. Been thinking of picking up a Schecter bass myself.

the lower end models come with "Duncan Designed" pickups - nothing special but they aren't terrible either.

The higher end models seem to mostly come with a Duncan SH-4 JB at the Bridge and either a a Duncan SH-2N Jazz or Duncan SH-1n '59 at the Neck, although the one I posted up above comes with the EMG 81/85 set and I know the Damiens have EMG H4 and H4A's.