Greg Christian out of Testament

They don't say anything about why. I thought I had heard that he fell off the wagon a while back but saw someone say on the FB thread that he did it for family reasons. Would rather that than him going back to bad habits.

e8da2282027785ea53431883761d780b27282c860bb7e31f444fad497094cf8e.jpg

This fucking sucks! I mean, love Steve! but this fucking sucks.I know! it's cause they didn't show shit of him in the dvd! Just kidding. This is kind of shocking to me.Theses guys were just crushing it out there!

Yeah but that pic is old and damn blabbermouth is notorious for using the worst pic they can find.Most of the time they just take a freeze from from a video.Not a great pic though.

This is shocking and saddening news. Greg will be greatly missed, he's always been a huge part of the Testament music, show and legacy for me. I'm glad he managed to record the wonderful DROE at least. Thanks for all the years and best of luck with your future endeavours, and with your personal stuff as well. Maybe one time the paths of Greg and Testament will cross once again.

That being said, in my eyes SDG is the ONLY person that can fill in Greg's shoes in Testament (due to his style, talent and history with the band). Him and Gene will make for a sick rhythm section. And I can't wait for Alex to meet SDG, 'cause some great, unique music will definitely come out of this colaboration. I hope he gets to have some input in the writing process of the new album.

Some twitter posts (for the future Testament chronicle or annals should anyone ever write it):

SDG, Jan 10th:
Going to be jamming with some old friends in some new and familiar territories. News coming soon. Like 'they' say - "stay tuned!"

Alex, Jan 13th:
Official Statement (I have nothing to add): “@testament: Testament Parts Ways with Bassist and Announce Replacement:

Alex, Jan 14th:
Re: Yesterday's news: Wishing GregC all the best, look 4ward 2 working w SteveD. Not the right time 2 discuss details-thanx 4 understanding

In the announcement linked here before Greg mentioned his little child. Maybe he was forced or wants to focus on being a dad now. Can't blame him for that.

Well let's hope they don't work with the Sneapster for their next record or Steve D will be as relevant as Tom Araya. Sneap buries the bass on everything he touches. Can you hear Steve on The Gathering? Ditto with Nevermore. On their older albums, Jim Sheppard is prominent. Then Sneap came in and Jim essentially disappeared from Nevermore albums. I don't know what his problem with bassists is but I'm tired of him turning every album into "And Justice for All."

You know,He's done a lot of their albums.I don't think it would be a bad idea to mix it up.Juan Ortega did a good job.Hell Overkill does their own and they sound pretty good.

Sneap's good, and I love the sound of vocals on DROE, but maybe it indeed is a time for a change. Were they to continue with ex technical thrash guitarists from Europe, maybe they should go with Waldemar Sorychta (Despair, Grip Inc.). Urteaga - I don't know, he's trendy but I don't know much of his work really (save for Heathen and Exodus which do sound ok). I wonder what Scott Burns is up to these days btw? I always found myself enjoying the sound on a lot of albums where Tom Morris was involved. I certainly wouldn't mind them using his services this time.

Maybe they should experiment a bit and try somebody with fresh ideas, not necessarily with a 100% metal background. Of course, that's risky, but it worked e.g. for DA with Nick Raskulinecz

Hey! one man! there you are :)

It kind of sounds like Alex isn't that happy maybe?

I don't remember reading about Gregs child?

Alex - I don't know. The way I saw it was he didn't care all that much. But judging on short tweets is pure speculation which should be avoided. It's just sad how Greg never got any of the deserved fame and recognition, and was rarely even mentioned in any interviews by the other members. And too bad he didn't get to write anything (back in the day he was at least allowed to write a little)...or maybe he really was "allergic to metal" :Spin:.

Anyway, I'm sure Alex and SDG will blend perfectly, music-wise. Let's hope Steve will anchor in Testament's harbor for a while (at least until Greg is back, if this is ever to happen). Given his talent and willingness to utilize it in different projects scheduling conflicts may occur, but I'm sure they can work it all out. Especially now that the band seems to be on the rise again - also commercially.

As for Greg's child - here's BBM for ya:

Writing on his personal Facebook page this afternoon, Christian said: "[I am] just home with my 4-year-old, being Dad... and [by the way] I'll have a musical announcement soon. As soon as the vocals are ready... I just don't want to say too much until I can bust it out. And it's dependent on the vocals now."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fo...usical-announcement-soon/#TJRGV8ZdBm8KRk2o.99

I remember that in the Low booklet he thanked his daughter - Taylor I believe was her name. Apparently he's got more kids than that. It must be both cool and sad to have a dad with a music carreer. Hopefully Greg will find happiness in family life.

My opinion is they need to do a gritty album.The last two have been very polished.Especially Droe.And sometimes I think It takes away from some of the intensity.Don't get me wrong I like polish and Testament is naturally that way because they are all so talented.But I think they should mix it up a bit.The Gathering was polished but raw at the same time.That's what I'd go for.

And you bring something else up i was thinking about.It's hard out there for musicians.And Testament is doing pretty well.A top tier band...for not being one of the big 4.And now Greg won't get to enjoy that success and I think that sucks.But It is what is I guess.I hope it works out for everyone.

Formation and DROE are outstanding albums but for the next one I want a brutal fast album with tons of solos, hooks, and double bass. In other words I want the Gathering part II but with more solos.

Or a LOWII perhaps.Oh wait that wouldn't work for obvious reasons.

I was just listening to LOW last night.What a fuckin badass album.I would love an anniversary tour of it.But I bet Alex would be the stickler on that..Mr I don't like whammy bars.While James is a master of them.Alex is probably the reason we don't get Low songs in the set.