Guess the snare compressor

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
Alright, I have this one piece of outboard gear that I used on the first tour I was on as a FOH engineer. It's a two channel compressor with tube saturation at the end and after that first tour I just left it out of the rack because it weights like a ton, took two rackspaces and I like the interface of dbx 166XL compressors more. More "dark enviroment friendly".

But anyways, I was about to sell that compressor because I thought it was broken, so I tested it out. Well, now that I inspected, it partially is; one of the level/gain reduction meters is broken and doesn't do anything. But otherwise it works like a charm, except input or output levels aren't equally matched, but that can be fixed with the level controls on the unit.

Anyways, I decided to test it material "for real", as I remembered that I really liked it on the drums. I made this clip yesterday with Slate drums on them, so I tested it on it and even the Slate samples are pretty snappy by themselves, but can you hear the difference? I matched the peak level (not the RMS level) so you can hear the difference a lot better.

Connecting this gear was pretty fucking simple if you ask me. I put the the compressor to I/O 5 and 6 on the RME and in Cubase just press F4, go to External Effects and set the 5 and 6 as inserts.

And now for the sample: two bars bypassed, two bars activated, repeat.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/snarecomptest.mp3

So: Guess what is the unit?

its not made by behringer is it ;-)

...actually, it is :) It's the Behringer T1952

T1952_medium.jpg