guitar advice

^I guess you have to decide on your own :) We miserably failed to achieve consensus but, for my part, I am happy if I could make anything clear for you.

so what, suddenly we are talking about the first few weeks in ones progression as a guitarist? your fingers will adjust, why dont you just rub them against a brick wall or soemthing if you want the finger tips to harden. if you are still feeling imense pain when youve gone past the mary had a little lamb stage, then youve got extremely weak fingers.

who said anything about hardening fingertips? We're obviously talking about finger strength, meaning the strength required to apply a sufficient amount of pressure on the fret board so that you're not playing dead notes in chords and such.

To rid you disease said:
i can see the point in knowing how to play both sorts to be an as versatile player as possible, starting off with acoustic with the only idea in your head being that this will be more efficient for your future electric guitar skills than starting with an electric is just stupid.

well, when i started out, I wasn't consciously thinking "I'm going to play an acoustic first because it will ultimately be more beneficial to my guitar playing." That's just how it worked out for me. It happened that I first bought an acoustic, then an electric...this transition was seamless as opposed to transitioning from electric to acoustic (something I can't really speak to anyways). It seems like you're talking about "playing acoustic" as a style, but I'm talking about just playing an acoustic guitar: you can play the same shit you would play on an electric guitar on an acoustic guitar. I don't really see your point with all that muting and ringing talk.

as always I see no point in this argument, because if you're dedicated enough, you'll become good. It won't matter what you play first. I was just sharing my experience.