Guitar/Bass Relationship Problems

MoTang

Jan 27, 2014
I'm having a lot of trouble with my guitar and bass tones. I feel like this is a large area I struggle in.

Listen to this mix I've recently done (some of the playing at parts lacks tightness I know, I threw it together in a day)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6010620/MIX TEST MAN.mp3

The problem I'm having is determining how much bass/guitar I need in my mixes, and specifically how much highs/presence I need in my mixes.

When I hear other mixes in the Practice Room by accomplished mixers, the guitars just sound different for some reason...like the bass has this tone that is controlled but present and the guitars sound smooth and big not fizzy and thin like mine.

Basically, why do my mixes suck? Can someone explain to me what I am doing wrong? My mixes simply don't have that character.

I always struggle with bass and guitars as well. One day I'll think everything sounds fine, then the next I hear too much bass poking through and I can never seem to just find that happy middle ground.

I always struggle with bass and guitars as well. One day I'll think everything sounds fine, then the next I hear too much bass poking through and I can never seem to just find that happy middle ground.
This sums up exactly how I'm feeling right now.

I listen to it, and then I think, oh the guitar sounds okay.

Then next day, I kick myself thinking why I would even ever think that.

I'll think I will try abiding by what wutzington said and go from there for my next mix.

What did you guys think of the clip anyway? Did what I describe as my problem exist in the clip? Am I completely wrong and instead my drums are weak?

I just don't think my mixes have that polish that many of you guys have here.

I try cranking up the bass a little too loud and then pulling out my eq, taking out all the low mids, and then the hard part is the high end. If you do everything right, while filtering, distorting, and carving... then you should hypothetically be able to have a prominent bass that supports your guitars without getting in the way. The perfect wingman :lol:

I listen to it, and then I think, oh the guitar sounds okay.

Then next day, I kick myself thinking why I would even ever think that.

Don't under-estimate the power of breaks!! I rarely take breaks while mixing which is a big NO-NO. If I do take a break, it's for like 5 mins then I'm back fucking with shit. I think a big part of my problem is my mixing room combined with screwing with my mixes literally RIGHT after I record stuff and spending 8-14 hours a day working on it. (I pretty much only record myself/my own band; haven't had a paying gig yet....so it's not THAT big of a deal.....but it bugs the piss out of me!)

^ I did that too for the longest while (writing/recording/mixing sometimes in an 18hrs session :lol: ).
Feel like I learned a lot through it though. not only because of how NOT to do things hehe, but it also helped with getting faster/staying focused longer.
And knowing when to stop.

That guitar issue (sounding weird the next day) will go away with experience...at least it did for me. Nowadays I mix my guitars with a mixture of critical listening and gut feeling.
You shouldn't spend too much time on it, or you'll find yourself mixing in circles. Guitars are more prone to that for me than any other mix element.
Well...maybe switching through snare samples too hah.

give the guitars room to sit in the mids, and take those frequencies out of your bass. have you bass adding to the weight of the guitars, and highs in bass are just taste. i tend to cut them out pretty hard cause thats where guitars sit as well. bass should kinda "hug" the entire mix. it should be felt more than heard, but you definitely want it heard as well. if its clouding up your guitars when its loud, then you need to cut out some guitar frequencies in your bass. eq is your friend, and what may "look" too crazy of an eq might just sound good. trust your ears over everything.

So perhaps then I am scooping too many mids out of my guitars?

IDK, thanks for the advice everyone. I'll just try to apply what I have learned to my next mix and see what happens.

The bass is just too loud and boomy in the low end. Turn it down, maybe bump the HPF up, and if you have a bell in the low end, turn it several db down. The guitars sound fine, though they are fairly scooped- but that isn't a problem unless you don't adjust the other instruments to compensate.

What low frequencies do you guys usually push for bass? I used to have power around 70-80Hz (kick around 60Hz) but it turned "sub" without depth. Now I push around 100-130Hz and around 260Hz. My guitars usually have power around 160Hz and a scoop in the 300Hz range. Also very curious how you deal with sub clean DI track and grit track, how do you divide the frequencies between them...