Still trying to solve my low end

MoTang

Jan 27, 2014
Every time I make a mix I always get the same criticism...my low end just isn't where I want it to be. I feel like I really am at a brick wall right now when it comes to my mixes because I obviously am doing something wrong but I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I'm even concerned because who knows? Is the problem even my low end in the first place and I'm just hearing it wrong?

I've tried fixing the problem at the source...I got a decent bass (Squier Vintage Modified Jazz), I set it up with Pro Steels for Drop C, perfectly intonated, and I still am not getting the low end I want that's clear and defined. To top it off, I seem to get better mixes with fake bass at times than I do real bass. I've tried other techniques too like different approaches to mixing the bass guitar, multiband compression, and while this has helped, it certainly hasn't made me happy with my mixes yet.

Here's an umastered song of a recent band I recorded just for fun:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6010620/unmastered change in me 1.2.mp3

Anyone got any tips?

The bass actually sounds better and more full than the bass in most of my mixes, but it's just covering up the kick drum. The guitars have a decent amount of low end, so if you haven't high-passed them up to around 90 hz or so, try that. The verse is pretty slow so you can always sidechain the kick to the bass during the quieter parts. Beyond that, your kick sounds pretty good, though it could use a cut in the 250-500 range probably, as well as a boost in the 7-8k range. I usually take wherever I want my kick high-end peak to be and subtract 2-3 db from the overheads, guitars (maybe less on the guitars), bass clank, snare, and any reverb aux tracks to make sure it's breathing through every other track in the mix that has highs in that region. Then when you master you can crank 1-2 db more in the 10k range, since most mixes are usually lacking there, just to give some sparkle to the overheads/snare/kick.

Also just noticed it sounds like there's reverb on the kick drum, or at least a substantial amount of room mic- kill that completely if possible, especially if it's artificial reverb.

Only other thing I can recommend is trying different types and sequences of compressors on the bass, since it is a little bit flubby and not too tight. Begin by riding off 1-3 db with an 1176 (fast attack/release), then I usually give it another 4-5 db gain reduction with an optical compressor, then a limiter to shave the remaining peaks off. If it still needs work after that, I use a multiband on the "boomy" region from 140-200 hz. Another thing I just found works fantastically is putting two high pass filters in a row on the low bass track, if your bass is split into different groups like most people around here. It will really limit the low track to only what you absolutely need out of it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6010620/unmastered change in me 1.3.mp3

I basically did everything you said. I cut more from the kick at around 280...and boosted the kick more at the 7k range. I also subtracted 7ish k from the overheads, reverb, and snare. I already had high pass filters on the guitars at around 114 Hz.

I lowered the room mics...I think that was what was causing that reverb effect because I had no reverb on the kick drum.

From what you told me I clearly was also overcompressing my bass...I guess I got carried away when people told me to absolutely crush your bass with compressors and limiters. I basically eased up on the compression of the bass while moving my multiband compression to sit around 180 Hz. I think I also did the double high pass trick you explained...it seemed to clean things up nicely. EDIT: Also automated side chain compression on the verses (basically the parts with no double kick)

What do you think now? I think personally it sounds better but idk my ears are kind of dead at this point.

Measurably better, but the kick is still buried. Not sure if I mentioned it before, but also be sure you have a cut in the bass of about 2-4 db right where the bottom of the kick peaks- use a spectrum analyzer if you don't know where that is.

Try just increasing the volume of the kick drum by about 3-6 db or so, because I think you're underestimating how loud the kick needs to be relative to everything else. Once you've done that, solo all the drums together. Unmute the guitars and gradually bring up their volume fader very slowly until it feels just right. Then do the same thing with the bass. You'll probably be surprised at how little bass you need, and how low the guitars actually need to be to be able to be heard. Should help externalize your leveling process.

As for the compression, maybe it's just me being nooby but I've really never understood why people say to nuke the bass with compressors. You can obviously do that, but you're eliminating any chance of ever being able to hear or feel the attack of the instrument. As soon as I use more than 3-4 db of 1176 compression my attack is totally gone, so I use compressors very sparingly and instead ride the volume of each waveform chunk and put Waves Bass Rider as the first insert on the track.

From what you told me I clearly was also overcompressing my bass...I guess I got carried away when people told me to absolutely crush your bass with compressors and limiters.

You should see what my average bass chain looks like. :lol:

I seriously compress and limit the shit out of it to the point where that meter doesn't move while the bass is playing. Maybe it's overkill, but it sounds better to me than having a bass that jumps all over the place.

Yeah on the first clip the low bass tone was compressed to hell the meter didn't move at all.

Idk, maybe it's circumstantial as everything seems to be when it come to recording?