Low End References

Ermz this is probably my favourite work from you.

Here´s another great reference for low end:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ except exodus albums and nocturnal from the black dahlia murder by suecof for the huge subs

Seeing Karnivool live was an eye-opener for me in so many ways. I used to think the production was insane on that album - it still is, but after seeing them live I realize that almost any idiot could throw up mics and make a killer sounding album. That band mixes itself.

the whole karnivool sound awake album is amazing for low end. the amount of bass guitar on "goliath" while still sounding musical is fucking unbelievable.

for modern metal stuff i find sturgis stuff pretty amazing. he puts so much kick in there yet it isn´t overpowering.

ab - blackbird is like archetype of a heavy rock sound for me. (snare and toms excluded)

Mercenary's The Hours That Remains by Jacob Hansen and pretty everything Jacob's work.

Some of the examples listed in this thread are a little bit "soupy" in the bottom end for my tastes, I generally prefer stuff thats a little tighter and punchier such as;

I may like stuff that comes out of Machine Shop a little too much.

Another huge + for TWOAF! I'd say l'enfant sauvage is good as well, but it's just not as good as TWOAF, really, but I see they were going for a way different vibe on that one.

If you want an example of the epitome of any bass tone ever...

Again, it's Karnivool :D

Stabbing the Drama (which has a HUGE and ALMOST unruly low-end but just sounds HUGE) and Gojira's "The Way of All Flesh" are my two "go-to" references to check low-end.

I know when I put up my mix against either of those albums, I NEED to be in that ballpark, even though the low-end on TWOAF is a bit 'tighter' than Soilworks', its nice to have a few different references for different 'types' of excellent low-end.

Nickelback is another one, The Long Road Home I think? First track. BAM. Staub just CRUSHES your face with brutal ass drums and thise HUGE low-end and image.

P.S. - Thanks for the comments on the 'Martyrs album guys =D Haha, nice to be noted in the same thread as some of my IDOLS!!!