Help me with mixing on my monitors! :(

qwe1234

Feb 12, 2011
Germany
Hey guys,

for the last time, my 5.1 soundsystem + subwoofer wasn't set up, I didn't check my mixes on that after mixing on my KRK RP5 G2.

Today I've set it up again and recognized, that all the mixes, I have done in the time had way too much low-end.

I always thought, it would work fine with low-cutting the low-end-y stuff like kick and bass at excactly 53hz, because my monitors go excatly that low, but I was wrong.

My question to you is now: Do you know a good way, to get balanced mixes on my KRK RP5 G2, which just go down to 53hz, without getting a subwoofer or stuff like that?

I'm really hoping for your help!

-Lasse :)

May want to hp the bass a bit higher than the kick. I like to do a narrow cut on the bass eq right where the kick sits, really helps clarity.

I had these same monitors and bought a sub because you really don't have a clue what's going on in the low end without one

Your monitors don't go exactly down to 53hz. That will likely be the point where their response is at -3db. Don't just high pass everything there.

A) Reference your mix against some big name mixes, you need to learn how your monitors sound

B) Get voxengo span, it's a free spectrum analyser, you'll then be able to see the low end visually

Depends what your 5.1 system is doing to the input signal.
If it's bass managed then you are only sending the bass to a single speaker - which may cause a +3dB* increase (or more) depending on phase when the stereo signals are summed.

But - aside from that, what John ^^ said.

*Additional information, if it is the exact same signal going to both left and right then a summation of +6dB will occur [Mono = left + right]. It is more likely that there will be a phase or frequency discrepancy between the low end in left and right channels therefore a more probably number will be around the 3-6dB mark.]

Thanks a TON for your help, guys!

I think I'll first try the analyzer-way!

Line up a few good mixes by some big names and see what the analyzer looks like, that'll give you a nice reference point. Tbh though, just hearing it is best but the analyser helps you understand what your ears are telling you