Guitar cables

krokit

Noisey B*****d
Dec 5, 2005
London
Hey guys I need a few new guitar cables..Whats the best?

Been over at gearslutz and read a thread about 'whats the best guitar cables' and my head was literally fuckin spinning..! :zombie:

My main guitar is a Gibson FlyinG V with EMG 81/85 with 18v mod > TS9 > 6505 > Marshall cab with G12T-75's. I also use a Hamer Scarab mkII with passive slammer pups

Cheers

Been over at gearslutz

Your first mistake :Spin: There are so many other things to worry about dude, just go Planet Waves if you want great, semi-affordable premade cables, or Mogami/Canare + Neutrik connectors if you wanna make your own! (personally, for guitar cables I prefer premade for durability's sake, though it probably wouldn't be as much of an issue for someone who sucked less at soldering :lol: )

Audiopile.net The best quality for the money, by far. I've directly compared their cabling against Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, and the difference was barely perceptible. Considering that the Audiopile's costed 1/10th the price and the difference was equivalent to 0.1mm turn on the treble knob (or 0.5mm moving the mic), I don't think its a worthy difference.

Im with Marcus here.. Planet Waves are really good and "affordable".. And Mr. Townsend uses them and says they are the best.. And if they can handle the Dev Madness then they must be really good :lol:

Yeah, that vid was totally the inspiration for me trying them in the first place :D But really, Planet Waves can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned! (I love my little string winder/clipper thing from them, as well as my cables of course, and apparently their trim-lock tuners are awesome too :headbang: )

Yeah, that vid was totally the inspiration for me trying them in the first place :D But really, Planet Waves can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned! (I love my little string winder/clipper thing from them, as well as my cables of course, and apparently their trim-lock tuners are awesome too :headbang: )

I've heard mixed reviews of those trim lock tuners.. So Im not to sure.. Even Thou they look cool.. And P.W has proved me they have really nice products.. Straps, tuners, all kind of cables etc !:kickass:

As far as store-bought cables go, Planet Waves and Mogami are great - I've also had great luck with Livewires if you're looking for something decent but inexpensive.

Steer clear of Monster, they're possibly one of the most overrated brands in existence. The worst quality/price ratio I've ever experienced.

Monster's are fine. If one breaks, and I've had 2 angle connecters break last year, just take it back to Guitar center and get a new one for FREE. They are high. I guess I wouldn't buy them for cost--I got them half price. I have all Mogami wire in my studio.

Yeah, I got several monster cables at cost too and they've lasted me ten years and I've toured with them a fair amount. They are good cables, they're just over priced.
Mogami, planet waves or even the nicer proco cables are all fine off the shelf. If you want to roll your own check the advice above.

Try the new elixir cables. I did a little tone test against fender cables recently, it is actually amazing what cables can do for your sound. 5 years ago i wouldve called myself a wanker for saying that as well.

It's probably hard to believe, but when we were tracking guitars/bass for the new Greeley Estates record we tried these expensive-ass Monster Cables:

Monster Studio Pro Instrument Cables

The tone was HORRIBLE. Totally muddy with a noticeable lack of high end clarity. Not weird-Gearslutz-psychologically different, but full-on "what the hell is wrong with the tone" different.

We tried multiple Monster Studio Pro cables (the bassist had a bunch of them) and they all had the same problem.

Out of frustration I got out some Livewires and re-connected everything, and the problem was solved - everything sounded good and the high end clarity was restored.

Stay far, far, away.

George L is the way to go for guitar cables IMO. Throw some Neutrik connectors on them, and you are golden. They also make bad ass speaker hookup wire.

DIY and apparently like alot of the others on here Neutrik & "quantum audio designs" cable....the cable is always at the shop i work at and my boss could care less about me using it.

A little off topic but close enough.......I know the goal is to use the shortest possible cord while recording.......what is some of the length's you guy's use?(please no dick jokes) 10 ft isn't to long is it?

Plus i love and use Planet Waves only