Guitar Center Labor Day Sale - Looking into monitors

ballstix

Jul 5, 2009
Portland, OR
I have about $300 to spend on my first set of monitors. The problem is that at my GC, the only pair I've heard much about on display are the Yamaha HS50Ms...the KRK RP5s are dirt cheap there, but I can't really A/B them with anything. Any recommendations on what to do?

I know a lot of people that love thier KRK5s, and if u went with those, youd also have an extra 100 to spend on something else.:)

Im sure the hs50ms are great though too if you want to spend the extra money...but if not you wont be dissappointed by the krks.

good luck!

I work at a Guitar Center. Three years ago, I was all about the HS50Ms. Now, I feel like the RP5s and Mackie MR5s are the better small monitors. I own Mackie MR5s and Yamaha HS80Ms.

Hmmm... it's a pain in the ass to make a decision without hearing anything :p

Are there any other common retailers in the US where I could demo monitors?

Hmmm... it's a pain in the ass to make a decision without hearing anything :p

Are there any other common retailers in the US where I could demo monitors?

And DON'T make a decision without hearing them. There's a learning curve on each monitor, and it's different for each, but it's up to the user to determine which monitors are easiest to work with.

If they're not set up at GC, they should be. We try to have one of everything out so people can demo things and work with them. Whether or not you got money, it's important for image, accessibility, and convenience. Make them noobs set it up!

lol, I bought monitors without hearing them... but I got lucky :D User reviews were great, figured I couldn't go wrong (anything was better than computer speakers). Course you should take a CD and listen to them yourself, but I doubt the environment will be equal to each set of speakers in store.

Anywho, I just got a set of Alesis Monitor 1 MKII's and I can't say enough good things about them... though they might not fit your budget since, though the monitors are $200 by themselves, you still need an amp.

The HS50Ms are a great small, inexpensive monitor. I don't think you're gonna find anything that translates better for the price.

Don't base your opinion on them from a demo in the store because your listening environment will sound totally different. Take a pair home and see how your mixes sound through them in your room. If they don't do it for you, return them and try something else until you find what works.

The HS50Ms are a great small, inexpensive monitor. I don't think you're gonna find anything that translates better for the price.

Don't base your opinion on them from a demo in the store because your listening environment will sound totally different. Take a pair home and see how your mixes sound through them in your room. If they don't do it for you, return them and try something else until you find what works.

Problem with that is that they charge a restocking fee. :(

I'm in the same exact situation ($300, looking for my first monitors, went to Guitar Center, weird, isn't it?), and all I can say is don't believe their "The List" prices. They just raise their prices exponentially as the retail price then make the sale price slightly lower than it is normally. Examples:

$14 snare drum head
$28 retail
$13 marked (you save a dollar, not $15)

$179 AKG perception 220
$350 retail
$149 marked (you save $30, not $200)

So be careful there.

I was going to try out the KRK RP6CB's, but I couldn't find much info about them on the internet (other than they're a rare collector's edition, fancy that). Instead I went shopping on Craigslist and I've found a pair of yamaha MSP5A's for $300.

Crazy world. ¯\(°_o)/¯

Then don't buy from them if you can't actually test the product without getting charged a restock fee if it's not going to work for you. Sweetwater doesn't restock you...and unlike GC, those guys actually know about what they're selling. Whenever I've not been happy with something, they have been awesome about getting me what I need.

Then don't buy from them if you can't actually test the product without getting charged a restock fee if it's not going to work for you. Sweetwater doesn't restock you...and unlike GC, those guys actually know about what they're selling. Whenever I've not been happy with something, they have been awesome about getting me what I need.

I work at GC. Come to our little town of Iowa, and the 3 of us back in Pro Audio will know what we're selling :Smug: we got nothing else to do but learn about them.

I'm in the same exact situation ($300, looking for my first monitors, went to Guitar Center, weird, isn't it?), and all I can say is don't believe their "The List" prices. They just raise their prices exponentially as the retail price then make the sale price slightly lower than it is normally.

At least at our store, if everything is returned spot-on (all packaging, good looking box) and you weren't happy and wanted to exchange them for something else we can get our hands on we waive the restocking fee. Of course, every store is a little different.

And as for the retail thing, of course they do that, it's a giant corporation of people who want to make it look like you're saving an assload. but pretty much everything on sale right now is making little to no money, and is marked down an easy $50-150, especially on big stuff.

But to answer your original question, the Rokit 5's are awesome for the price their at. But the Yamaha's HS50m's you would be happy with. Those are $200/ea for the rest of the month. Save a little bit of money past this weekend and grab those?

Yeah, I'm getting those, really looking forward to picking them up. I might've gotten the rockets on impulse, but each store only had one, which would've made for another hour+ of driving. Glad I researched first.

But it's not to say GC didn't have a nice sale or two this weekend. I stocked up on those $2/pair Vic Firth drum sticks. ;)

I work at GC. Come to our little town of Iowa, and the 3 of us back in Pro Audio will know what we're selling :Smug: we got nothing else to do but learn about them.

Clean behind your live wall and under your counters or I'm going to write your entire department up.

Love,
Operations

Welp, I've had trouble tracking down the guy who's selling me the MSP5a's (the guy's literally in a different state every time I call him), so I went to craigslist to look for some more. Now there's an ad with JBL 6208s for $280/pair.

Better monitors than the hsp5a? I've been reading reviews and soundonsound.com scathed them for buzzing. Is that just a problem with old models or something?