Guitar DI/Amp tracks editing question

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
I've always recorded DI + amp/kemper guitars tracks but then systematically reamped them (the amp tracks were just for monitoring) so I was editing the DIs with an amp sim. But now I tend more and more to really spend time on the sound at the source with the band and get the DIs just in case, actually the way it supposed to be I guess.

How do you guys edit the guitar tracks in that specific scenario? I mean if I edit on the fly while monitoring the amp track, there's a risk that some artefacts can appear here and there on the DI tracks and I can be fucked after that and can have to double check all the takes if I need to reamp. Am I wrong? Is there a tip for that? Well, don't know if I'm clear ahah!

You have two options, really - edit the Kemper tone directly, or edit a DI and then reamp it afterward. Since high-gain guitar tones are pretty compressed, it can be hard to pick out exactly where you transients are when editing, so the DI is definitely easier to work with.

Well, I look at the DI when edit the tracks since the two tracks are grouped of course. Way much easier indeed but I'm afraid that somewhere a cut would sound good on the amp track and could be obvious on the DI. Since I do that way (recording the "good source" without reamping systematically) I never had to reamp but this time I think reamping will be needed so it could be a waste of time to edit while monitoring the amp track... Will find a moment to do some tests.

I'm afraid that somewhere a cut would sound good on the amp track and could be obvious on the DI.

Odds are it won't be audible in the final tone unless it's really obvious, but you could always crossfade the cut or something just to be sure.

Sorry, I maybe was not very clear. Of course I do crossfades when I cut a part to avoid clics and pops. But after that, a cut can be audible for some reason so if I cut here or there on the tone track in order to get something "transparent", it can be audible on the DI track just because it reacts not the same way.. ?

But nobody's listening to the DI track. When you reamp it, that click will most likely go away.