Questions regarding DI tracks and Reamping

Paul Canzoneri

New Metal Member
Sep 29, 2021
Hello Everyone!

I recently tracked some DI guitar tracks using A Musicman Majesty into a Radial J48. I went straight into my Antelope Orion synergy core for the DI and then recorded my Mark V to get a live sound for the recording. The tracks came out really clean but now that I’m trying to reamp the DI tracks after editing I’m having trouble getting the tracks to drive the amp without bumping the faders on the track almost all the way up. I can get the amp to sound like the guitar going directly in but only by pushing the volume on the track hard and it’s showing it’s clipping the output of the Orion (obviously) and of course it’s adding a bunch of hiss on the backend. So a couple questions here:

1. The majesty is a pretty hot guitar as far as pickups go. Using the J48 with no pad engaged I was recording -5 peak at the preamp on the interface without any extra gain. The tracks I recorded I used the -15 db pad and then boosted the preamp to hit around -15 peak in pro tools. What levels should I be recording at for DI tracks? The guys at radial told me that I could be peaking at -5 and that was totally ok. What is your guys experience? Did I end up tracking the DI way too quiet?

2. When reamping whats your preferred signal chain? The Antelope Orion has built in reamp outputs but it seems like the output level is so quiet even with everything turned all the way up. I also tried using a line out with a radial reamp box but that wasn’t pushing the amp enough either.

The tracks seem to work fine with in box amp sims and I’ve recorded other instruments in this session at fairly uniform gain levels but it seems like nothing I’ve tried is cutting it when trying to get a strong sound without added hiss when reamping. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with bumping up the gain at some point to hit the amp how you’d like.

Radial DI’s are mostly too low of an impedance for passive pickups unfortunately, so passive pickups will have a lower level and sound fuller than going straight into an amp (or using a DI with 1>MOhm impedance). The J48 is only 220K Ohms

Do you have a clean boost pedal? Clipping the converters on the way out may not be the worst thing, if that sounds ok then there’s no harm in some peaks being clipped prior to hitting the amp.

Last edited: