Cleaning DI tracks

Imbow

May 17, 2010
So.. I have recorded some DI guitar tracks through my UX2 and want to reamp them. But I want to know if there are some generel rules/guidelines you can follow to make the tracks ready for reamping? And before someone mention this http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/290714-preparing-your-tracks-reamping-guide.html - I couldnt find any answers there.
First of I guess you would make sure everything is synced and click and pop sounds are edited out. But then what? Do you use any kind of filter (HP/LP) to remove some unwanted frequencies? Or am I good to reamp and then take care of noise later? Also I have noticed DI tracks some of you upload here are very level consistant, does that benefit to the reamping sound? If yes, can someone please explain me how its done? I guess its some kind of compression?

you don´t need to eq the DI, but it should not have clicks and pops at all. you probably tracked on a buffer size that your computer could not handle or there´s something wrecked on the chain (pickups, cables, etc).

Ye, Im very bad at english. But I didn't ment click and pops, but the sound coming from strumming on the strings on the guitars the second before playing and such. And there isn't any noise on the DI track. Im just most worried about the dry level input - by default it peaked about -15 dB. So no compression after they are tracked?

Sorry to necro this thread.
BUT...
I went through and cut out all the silent parts of a track, then exported it as a stem, then re imported it and the noise (when using amp sims) is back?
But if i use someone elses stem (from here) they are completely noise free.
What am i doing wrong?
Im just trying to get nice clean DI's like most others here.

Sorry to necro this thread.
BUT...
I went through and cut out all the silent parts of a track, then exported it as a stem, then re imported it and the noise (when using amp sims) is back?
But if i use someone elses stem (from here) they are completely noise free.
What am i doing wrong?
Im just trying to get nice clean DI's like most others here.

post a bit of the DI and i'm sure these kind metal folks will have some priceless info.

I think i found the problem. Its because i had it rendering to mp3 instead of wave. Wave files are fine but has the extra noise on the mp3 renders.

Yes found the problems. Rendering to mp3 was one and the other was rendering output with master buss fx on. Changed them and all seems fine.