Guitar eq help!

jakespies

Apr 7, 2010
Alright so I've been trying to eq this guitar for ages. I can't re-record it or double track it. Only 1 take with the 2nd guitarist playing a harmony pretty much the whole time. I need some help making it fuller and not so shitty. I have done everything in these forums and still nothing helps! If someone could throw a quick eq on it and tell me your chains or something that would be great! Any help will be appreciated. I've tried C4 with eq's from many different members, I've tried reverb and parallel comp. Nothing seems to get the full clear sound I need. I use ableton live 8.

http://rapidshare.com/files/393503531/quick_riff_sample.mp3

*I haven't heard your clip*

Don't use C4 if you don't need to. Why not make the guitar 'not boomy' in the first place?

Use an appropriate amount of gain, not too much. And of course, not too less (unless that's what you're going for). My suggestion would be to get the gain to 0 and gradually increase it till your mutes sound well saturated. Remember, distortion = noise.

Forget the reverb or parallel comp, or any comp at all.

Mold the guitar tone from the source to your liking, as much as possible. When eq-ing take out the unwanted frequencies first. Use a very narrow Q when cutting, preferably 5. Take all the shit out. For example, if it's honky try sweeping around from 800hz to 1500hz and see what bothers you. If it hurts your ears trying sweeping around from 2000hz to 3200hz. Low-pass at 12khz. Be very careful about the stuff above 8khz. You want them, and you don't wanna low-pass there. But just in case it's too much (case with most POD users) try low-shelving a bit ;)

Low-pass at 80hz. If you want your guitars to be thick and bass heavy, blend it with a well played bass with a good tone.

Your sweet spots are around 400hz, 1500hz, 3200hz and 5000hz. Boost them with a good Q if you feel like, preferably 2. But never boost without taking out all the shit. Remember, these sweet spots might sound shitty too! ;) They can very well be a cheating girlfriend/wife who's good in bed.

*I haven't heard your clip*

Don't use C4 if you don't need to. Why not make the guitar 'not boomy' in the first place?

Use an appropriate amount of gain, not too much. And of course, not too less (unless that's what you're going for). My suggestion would be to get the gain to 0 and gradually increase it till your mutes sound well saturated. Remember, distortion = noise.

Forget the reverb or parallel comp, or any comp at all.

Mold the guitar tone from the source to your liking, as much as possible. When eq-ing take out the unwanted frequencies first. Use a very narrow Q when cutting, preferably 5. Take all the shit out. For example, if it's honky try sweeping around from 800hz to 1500hz and see what bothers you. If it hurts your ears trying sweeping around from 2000hz to 3200hz. Low-pass at 12khz. Be very careful about the stuff above 8khz. You want them, and you don't wanna low-pass there. But just in case it's too much (case with most POD users) try low-shelving a bit ;)

Low-pass at 80hz. If you want your guitars to be thick and bass heavy, blend it with a well played bass with a good tone.

Your sweet spots are around 400hz, 1500hz, 3200hz and 5000hz. Boost them with a good Q if you feel like, preferably 2. But never boost without taking out all the shit. Remember, these frequencies might sound shitty too! ;)

ya i mean that's what I've been doing. ive tried not to take too much out of the raw recordings because I've read that you can always take stuff out, its just hard to add stuff. Honestly all the eq'in and sweeping around isn't making a bit off difference. I just want someone who knows what they are doing to try and do a little eq'in on that 15 second sample and tell me if I just need to do things differently and if so what or if its not salvageable and I need to start from scratch, which is gonna be a pain.

The problem I can tell you right away is there is WAYYYYYYYYY too much gain on those guitars. Overall the tone isnt bad, what are you not liking about it specifically?

well its the fact that its so lacking. if i try and mess with anything it takes away from the overall depth. it already seems so empty and narrow.

In all honesty, I think the tone sounds fine. Way too much distortion, but good in terms of timbre. Unfortunately, you can't eq out distortion. My advice would be as follows:

-request to retrack with less gain (the right amount might be a little less than you're comfortable with)
-double or quad track
-read the stickied reamping thread so that you're never in this situation again

In all honesty, I think the tone sounds fine. Way too much distortion, but good in terms of timbre. Unfortunately, you can't eq out distortion. My advice would be as follows:

-request to retrack with less gain (the right amount might be a little less than you're comfortable with)
-double or quad track
-read the stickied reamping thread so that you're never in this situation again

damnnnnn. alright thnx for the responses guys. much appreciated :)