Metal Kick Eq Help

So I've been trying FOREVER to get a specific kick sound
(Keep in mind that I'm using DFH for drums)
I've gotten kicks that I've been somewhat happy with but have never gotten this specific kind of kick sound that I've always wanted
Anyone wanna help me out with exactly how I could get this kind of sound with eq and compressors and such
I've posted a link to the reference kick (in a song)
I can upload a sample of the dry DFH kick if needed
Thanks a lot guys!

http://www.soundclick.com/horizonrecordings
The song I'm using as a reference is called Kick Model - The Remnant

Hey Sean, the best way to get kicks sounding unnaturally fat like that, is to layer a few different kick sounds together. I've had good results with using the low end of just one kick, then hi-passing the other kicks so all I'm adding is more attack sound and not unnecessary added low end. Just set the levels so it sounds right, then bus them all together and EQ as one sound. Also, a kick drum that has the batter head tuned very loosely will help even more, as the attack sounds bigger and more "soggy" (Andy's word for it, which I think is an extremely accurate way of describing it). If you ever have a chance to record a real kick drum, spend some time messing with the tuning and create some of your own samples you can add to the layers!

By the way, looking forward to sharing the stage with your band on April 4th... It will be our last show before hitting the studio for the full length!

try using some multiband compression, i find it's very useful for controlling which parts of the sound are present in the attack of the kick and which ring for a little bit. Also, try out using gclip for some added punch

And try adding saturation to the kick! You probably don't want to saturate the low end and low mids... I think that's gonna mud up and "fart" but you should definately try some saturation on the highs!

I actually have a kick sample tht sounds similar t that with a little EQing and hi-pass action
I recorded it with a (soggy head) with a quarter taped on it, if this dont sound like a good idea?
Believe me its one of the best kicks i sampled so far, the quarter adds a good fat slap to the head when recorded

Aaron: Thanks a lot man!
Soggy is the perfect word for that sound!
hahahaha
I'll definitely try and layer some different kicks and see how that turns out
We're super excited to play with you guys too!
We're going to have all new songs and a new drummer so it should be a pretty intense show!
haha
Looking forward to playing our last show at Impact with you guys!

Skeksis268: I'll see what I can do with the multiband compressor.
Unfortunately gclip is only for pc and I'm running a mac
but I do have event horizon
Which, if I'm not mistaken, is extremely similar
Thanks fr your help!

Gojira: Don't want to sound like a noob
but what plugin would I use (on a mac) to add saturation?
haha
thanks

doclegion: Unfortunately I don't have the ability to record a real kick right now, hence the reason I have DFH, but if you could post the sample that you are talking about I could try that out and tweak it a little bit to get it the way I want it.
Thanks a lot bro!

i've achieved something similar with a mix of live hits and samples and a fuck load of processing, i'll see if i can find some hits without too much cymbal/snare bleed and post them sometime soon

i'm afraid event horizon is a very different beast to gclip, its a wonderfully clear sounding clipper, very useful in some circumstances but it wont really perform the same function as gclip in this particular case. try this http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-Plugins/Clip-R.shtml i dont know whether i works for macs, it just says it need as VST host. Don't know a lot about macs sorry

EDIT: i've never tried that plug btw, try finding some more on the net and see what works best

does that clip-R one not work for mac then. If used VERY and i mean VERY carefully it can be good on a kick drum, i just tried ABing it with gclip.
I had the ceilings at 0, and the post and feedback at 0 also. Adjust the softness and boost to taste, i had only a very small boost (about 8 o'clock, although depends on how hot the signal you run into it is) and softness at about 10 o'clock which seemed to soften the harshness while keeping the top end. It's a vicious plugin compared to gclip, and an entire different universe to eventhorizon.

event horizon is a great plug, but it's not really the same as most clippers as it is so very transparent. Not quite what i like to use on a kick drum myself, i like something with more harmonics.

airwindows sounds promising though

Gojira: Don't want to sound like a noob
but what plugin would I use (on a mac) to add saturation?
haha
thanks

You don't wanna sound like a noob? Well how about this... I am a COMPLETE noob at Mac(well, I can work my way around the interface on Mac OS but that's it :D), so I'm afraid my noobiness beats yours. That means I can't help ya, but I'm very sure somebody around here can recommend you something... there has to be some saturation plug for Mac too that doesn't cost anything... or much :)

Can't Mac users run VST at all? I've heard someone talk about some wrapper thingie that can run VST on Mac? Not sure how convenient that is but imagine how many good plugins you would have access to with that thing if it works :)

Edit: Oh and, about the saturation on the kick: on my little solo project I did, the kick was very dry and just dull but I used saturation on a few steps on the chain (I don't think I saturated the kick with just one plugin, I used several in a scattered order throughout the mixing process), and it really made the kick get that "thump" that I was looking for. So it could be worth trying :) Don't go nuts on it though, it'll sound like shit if it's too saturated... we're not talking about guitar distortion here :D