Guitar EQ help

WheresChris

New Metal Member
Jul 19, 2012
I recently got a Pod Farm GX and i wish to become a producer in the not so distant future. I could really use some help with guitar eq's and all that stuff. I dont really get it. I wanna produce metal core/post-hardcore bands like Cameron Mizell/Joey Sturgis. Thanks!

The only thing you need is " PRACTICE " ...... the more you've done it, the more you understand it. The more you understand all of your equipment and instrument, you can get out the best of it.

And the most absolutely need is your ear, the most expensive instrument you've ever get. :D

The basic pod tone for these sounds is Screamer->Cali Diamond Plate->Treadplate Cab with Condener mic. Use the eq in pod farm to cut some "digitalness" at 4k and you're ready to go.

As you can understand, it means nothing at all, because you need to "put" it in the mix and as you can understand it's a lot more than just a "good tone"

http://soundcloud.com/whereschris/dis-nigguh I recorded this a little while ago. Drums are a free program i downloaded. The guitar sounds kinda rough i think. Anyway tips on how to get it sounding clearer? Like the new Memphis May Fire, old Woe, Is Me type shtuff. Oh, i didnt do no post-production like mastering since i have no clue how that stuff works. All i did was use some eq settings i saw on youtube lol. Im using Reaper, by the way. Thanks for answering guys!

I'd say the guitars need to be up a lot. and the kick needs some eq and compression. try blending 2 snares together. just experiment.

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_FreqAnalyst/
^
Download this free plugin. It is an excellent tool and has helped me learn a lot.
Its a frequency analyzer. It does what it says. Throw it on your channel strip so you can see what frequencies are being dominated by an instrument. I also like to put one on my channel strip followed by an effect like an eq, filter, or compressor and then the freq analyst again so i can see the changes that the effect is making.
2rpa3wg.jpg

^
Like this

I listened to your clip.. First of all, you need to have your guitars at least double tracked and pan them left and right. I mean actual recorded guitars and not copy-paste them in another channel, because you'll get the mono effect. Secondly, you need a bass to glue everything together and get your low frequencies out of it

I listened to your clip.. First of all, you need to have your guitars at least double tracked and pan them left and right. I mean actual recorded guitars and not copy-paste them in another channel, because you'll get the mono effect. Secondly, you need a bass to glue everything together and get your low frequencies out of it
Guitars double tracked w/ bass will sound a lot more powerful than a guitar in mono. For a while what I did to practice mixing when I didn't have a bass was record with my guitar through a clean channel and then drop the pitch down an octave to match how a bass would sound. Then i ran it through some bass cab sims etc (you get the idea). The drum samples really dont sound bad at all. You do need to change up the velocity of the samples though so it sounds a lot more humanized/realistic.

Guitars double tracked w/ bass will sound a lot more powerful than a guitar in mono. For a while what I did to practice mixing when I didn't have a bass was record with my guitar through a clean channel and then drop the pitch down an octave to match how a bass would sound. Then i ran it through some bass cab sims etc (you get the idea). The drum samples really dont sound bad at all. You do need to change up the velocity of the samples though so it sounds a lot more humanized/realistic.

Thanks my man!

I recently as well got a Pod Farm GX and I have very little experiance with EQ'ing and mixing and mastering and was wondering if anyone has any tips on it?
Heres a link to somthing I did recently (I know the guitar work isnt that great I didnt practise prior to recording just trying to get a dece tone and put somthing out there)
It just sounds really to thick/full to me and if you guys have anything that would help? Specifically good compression and EQ plugins

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally i think it needs to be edited a lot. the guitars are off and you need to make them have more presence in the mix. They sounds pretty muddy. This is just my opinion but i think most guys on here would agree. Def work with some EQ to take out all the boominess.

Before you are thinking about EQ you should at least try harder to play it tight and then quantisize the guitars, then you can start EQ and tweak that shit. 90% of the tight tone Joey has comes from playing tight in the first hand and a lot of quantisizing.

You want to slip edit or flex time your guitars to grid. Make sure you down pick as much as possible with hard hits and new strings.

Past that point you want to make sure your chain is consistent and well gated, make sure you're not clipping anywhere, not just on the channel strip but on plugins, amp signals , pedal inputs. This will clear everything right up.

You then want to soft limit your guitars and send them to a guitar bus, put an eq on the bus, hi pass anywhere up to 150hz and low pass from as low as 7 kHz to 12 kHz. This will clear up any subs of harshness.

Next stop surgical eq ( mainly with digital tones) there are harsh overtones at about 4-kHz so what I do I suck out a narrow tight band and all it's harmonics.

I'd say try sucking out 3.5 kHz and 4.8 kHz.

Next up try a multi and compressor. Something like the c4 or a cheaper equivalent. Tame those lows and highs that haven't been captured by your filtering and maybe clamp down on 300 ish hZ a bit.

The next thing I do is completely optional but I out a parametric style eq with fixed bands. Something like the Stilwell 1973 on the bus and just slightly eq it.

Good advice, especially for those without a bass to record with.
What plugin do you use to shift the pitch down an octave though? Any plugins I've used distort the sound like crazy if I shift down that far