Guitar EQ

olivertuck

Sinister Sound
Mar 8, 2013
Is it normal to take a shit load of frequencies out of a distorted guitar tone? Specifically TSE X50 running through S-Pres High, I'm finding that there are quite a few harsh high pitched frequencies, either that or I'm just listening too hard and pulling out things that i shouldn't.

I do about 7 surgical cuts on my Pod farm guitar tone, so it's pretty common to do a lot of cuts on amp sims!

Is it normal to take a shit load of frequencies out of a distorted guitar tone? Specifically TSE X50 running through S-Pres High, I'm finding that there are quite a few harsh high pitched frequencies, either that or I'm just listening too hard and pulling out things that i shouldn't.

Yes, surgical EQ is VERY common/important. I´d suggest also taking atleast a 7 band EQ. Try this, it might help you:
7 band EQ, real tight Q, boost up anywhere on your EQ and sweep through until you find a frequency that sounds unwelcome/harsh.

A good start would be: HP at around 70hz, 180-300 (resonance), 200-500 (wide scoop), 600-800 (cardboard zone), 2-4khz (vocal region).

Note that it depends from tone to tone, but this should be a good start.
If your low end rumble or your harsh highs are still too much, then try throwing a C4 in and tame those lows and highs.

My eq for guitar is hpf 130hz, wide 180 hz cut for snare, boost 400hz for fatness, cut 800 hz, boost 1k hz, lots of surg cuts from 3-5k hz, boost above for presence and lpf at around 9.5k hz. And i tend to use a B82 maximizer to get a lot of presence since all surg cuts tend to make it unclear.

Yes, surgical EQ is VERY common/important. I´d suggest also taking atleast a 7 band EQ. Try this, it might help you:
7 band EQ, real tight Q, boost up anywhere on your EQ and sweep through until you find a frequency that sounds unwelcome/harsh.

A good start would be: HP at around 70hz, 180-300 (resonance), 200-500 (wide scoop), 600-800 (cardboard zone), 2-4khz (vocal region).

Note that it depends from tone to tone, but this should be a good start.
If your low end rumble or your harsh highs are still too much, then try throwing a C4 in and tame those lows and highs.

That is exactly what i do haha i sweep with the smallest Q and anything that sounds horrible and distorted i pull down and widen the Q till the sound has dissapeared, i dont know anything about colouring or saturating afterwards though? is this just done with standard equalization or are there specific plugins that are good for this