Some question on guitars and mastering

Nico_pitty

Nick
Jun 22, 2011
Milan
Hi guys.
It's been for month that i try to obtain a good tone for guitars...
i use cubase and for the guitar i use this chain....
Pod farm2-->Pod farm tuner-->Studio eq-->Limiter and i also eq the tone in the "e" section of the channel!
while i'm doing this i put in my master chain 2 plug in---> Ozone 4 and OneKnob Louder...
In ozone i use parametric eq, harmonic exciter, multiband compressor...and i try to obtain a good sound of guitar without losing good tone in drum sound...then i pump up the volume with oneknob...
Despite this i'm not able to obtain a very good sound for guitar...it seems that guitar tone have too high frequencies, but if i try to cut them the sound has too low frequencies...even if i try to set the sound from ozne eq or multiband comp...
I know it's difficult to understand what i mean without a track,in fact i'm gonna insert it in a while.
Anyway if you have some good suggestions for the chain of guitar track or master track i'm here!
wait for an answer and sorry if i repeat the thread...i know..i'm a little bit ripetitive! ;)

Simplify, Simplify, Simplify.

Mastering is not meant to make your guitar tones good, but your overall track better. Your guitars need to be properly tracked with the proper gear.

Something I have learned about podfarm and I see many new people making this mistake is, they think because its an amp sim and because its digital they need to do a fuck ton of post to it to make it sound better and "more real". When in reality the more post you do it the worse and faker it sounds. Keep it simple.
instead of trying to get your guitars sounding good on their own try making the bass and guitars glu and really gel together. Having a good guitar/bass combo will beat a good guitar tone any day of the week.

As a mixer I have learned that my guitars can lack in some areas but if the overall track is good, the other elements of the mix will make up for it.

(and something that is OT but put your tuner first in your chain so its not being altered by the amp sim. If you're using pod farm 2 there is a built in tuner in the sim)

Simplify, Simplify, Simplify.

Mastering is not meant to make your guitar tones good, but your overall track better. Your guitars need to be properly tracked with the proper gear.

Something I have learned about podfarm and I see many new people making this mistake is, they think because its an amp sim and because its digital they need to do a fuck ton of post to it to make it sound better and "more real". When in reality the more post you do it the worse and faker it sounds. Keep it simple.
instead of trying to get your guitars sounding good on their own try making the bass and guitars glu and really gel together. Having a good guitar/bass combo will beat a good guitar tone any day of the week.

As a mixer I have learned that my guitars can lack in some areas but if the overall track is good, the other elements of the mix will make up for it.

(and something that is OT but put your tuner first in your chain so its not being altered by the amp sim. If you're using pod farm 2 there is a built in tuner in the sim)

So what i have to do is to have my guitar tone faker but with the all song good and get it good with the mastering section?today i'll post a track with mastering and without so you'll able to listen to it...
Anyway in podfarm i use this preset.. CAli diamond with thread cab tube screamer noise and before the amp a comp and a eq...if i'm not wrong following your advices i'll change the preset in pod farm with:
Cali diamond with treadplate cab tube screamer noise gate.
and the chain of the channel in:
pod farm tuner-->Pod farm2--->gate(if necessary)--->limiter
All this cut low and high frequencies in "e" section of the channel...
is it right?? thanks Seth ;)

So what i have to do is to have my guitar tone faker but with the all song good and get it good with the mastering section?

No dont purposely make your guitar tone faker, that wont help anything at all.

What I was saying was, dont make the focus of the mix the guitar, make sure the mix as a whole sounds good. Sometimes you cant dial in that perfect tone, but if the whole mix is good overall it doesnt matter.

And you shouldnt try to shape your guitar tones through mastering and mastering tools. Get the guitars good at the source. When you dial in a good tone through your 2buss, it will effect everything else in the mix in a negative way.

Just remember that Mastering is for the mix as a whole to sound good, not just one element of a mix.

No dont purposely make your guitar tone faker, that wont help anything at all.

What I was saying was, dont make the focus of the mix the guitar, make sure the mix as a whole sounds good. Sometimes you cant dial in that perfect tone, but if the whole mix is good overall it doesnt matter.

And you shouldnt try to shape your guitar tones through mastering and mastering tools. Get the guitars good at the source. When you dial in a good tone through your 2buss, it will effect everything else in the mix in a negative way.

Just remember that Mastering is for the mix as a whole to sound good, not just one element of a mix.

Ok so i'll try to get a good sound and then mix with all the instruments!! what you think about the chain? so simplier is it right? ;)

Seth Munson said:

Couldn't have said it better. +1000