Master chain advice

abaga129

The Apprentice
On my master bus I use a compressor with a very slow attack, slow release, and a ratio less than 2. This is followed by ozone using the reverb, exciter, imager, multiband compressor, and post EQ. The last thing in my chain is Gclip with it clipping some of the remaining peaks.
Is this a bad mastering setup? The thing I'm most unsure of is Gclip. I use it to get my mix extremely loud.
Thanks in advance for the replies!
Here's a mix I did with that master chain.
http://soundcloud.com/reampedmp/hollow-words-kings-among-men

Problems usually start with the mix. Get a nice, clear mix with good balance between all its elements and you're almost there.

You can try mixing into a compressor right from the beginning of the mix. I certainly do it. Use some "SSL-type" compressor (The Glue is a great cheaper alternative) with slow attack (10-30ms), fast release, 2-4 ratio with 2-4db gain reduction.

When you're mastering, don't go for "ultra loud" masters, but for great natural and balanced ones that complete the whole production. If they come out "ultra loud", good for you. But don't let this be your only purpose, because it's really easy to smash and destroy the whole song-transients-etc